Which one?

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by ratkinson, Sep 14, 2008.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    It appears that my father has been planning to buy a metal detector for some time.I am in the market as well. We can probably only soend about $300. I need all of your expertise...................what used one to buy, or what new one to buy in this price range. I've got a lead on a detector that is practically being given away on craigs list. If the guy doesn't show on time on tuesday morning, I'll be taking ti home for $20 that afternoon. It was around $300 dollars new, and had been sitting unused for about a year. Wish me luck.

Richard

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Come on guys need some input here. Gonna leave a brother hanging?
    I want to make an informed purchase.

Richaed

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Richard if you can afford it try to buy a white's metal detector there one of it not the best out there.

4. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Richard, try and get the best for least:wink: I have detected for 30 + years and have owned numerous machines. I still have three. Some of the name brands are, Garrett, Whites, Bounty Hunter.m But to be truthful with you the best on the market was, I said was, is AHPro. They are out of business now but one of the best out there. I think they may have been bought out by one of the big companies, because they were so advanced for their time. If you can find a AHPro backpacker get it!!! I can supply you will a copy of the instructions if needed. I have had several Garrett and some I liked and some I didn't. The Bounty Hunter, I have not owned but some friends have and I always thought it was too high priced for what it did. Never owned a White but believe they are a reputable machine. If you are just starting out, try and get a mid priced unit. Good luck.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have a garrett and love it, even tho its about 15 yrs. old it works great, and elim. alot of trash, tells ya if your target is a nickel, dime, penny, or quarter and even how deep with the pinpoint on a digital screen, or u can set it for all metal and dig every nail and pull tab around :eek:oooh:, try e-bay that will give ya an idea about different models and about what they go for, no matter which machine ya get it takes practice, when i first got mine i burried different coins in a plastic bag in the yard and went over them to hear the difference from a good target and junk

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    oh yea the one i have is the garrett GTA1000

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Check out KellyCo.com for new and reconditions models.