Which one? Spinning or Baitcasting Reel?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Water Wolf, May 2, 2008.

1. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I have always fished with a spinning reel and done just fine on every thing from Bluegill, Bass, and Walleye, to Trout, Pike, and Channels and never had a problem. I tried a baitcaster once but couldn't put up with the bird's nest. I guess I should have tried to master it a little harder.

Help me out and let me know if you think I am limiting myself with only using spinning reels.

Thanks.

:0a36:

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use almost all baitcasters now with braided line. I will break out a spinning reel once in a while just for sumthing different.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jim,I was the same way till I decided to go hard core for Bass,Then they werent fun after the 3 10 lbrs ,It was easy for me to switch from bitty to big baitcasters after a bit of PRACTICE. Hang in there ,either should work well.I think baitcasters have more strength ,just mho

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I THINK IF YOU STAY WITH THE HIGH END SPINNING REELS ,YOU'LL DO ALRIGHT.:big_smile:
    THE REEL OF CHOICE ON THE BOC THAT I HAVE SEEN IS ABU BAITCASTERS, MOST OF THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE CRANKING POWER THAT BAITCASTERS HAVE:big_smile:

AS FOR AS YOUR BIRD NEST THERE IS SO MUCH THAT CAN CAUSE THAT (1 ) TO MUCH WEIGHT OR NOT ENOUGHT WEIGHT,( 2 ) SPOOL NOT ADJ WRIGHT, (3) WRONG ROD, (4)ECT JUST TO MANY VARRABLE'S:wink:

SOMETIMES IT'S LIKE BUYING 1/2 TON PICK-UP WHEN YOU NEED A 1 TON PICK-UP

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT AND GOOD LUCK FISHING

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well everyone has there favorites i guess.Ive really never been a big fan of spinning reels but that dosent mean they arnt any good,just my preference is baitcasters.Id give them some time before i gave up on the baitcasters but if you like the spinning reels better hey go for it.

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I cant use a baitcaster to save my butt either. I wouldnt worry about it, there are plenty of good heavy spinners out there that will get the job done. I have Okuma Avenger AV80a's. If you are going to stick with a spinner, I would say get one at least as big as a 65 series, 5 bearings minimum, and a good antireverse bearing. Good luck.

7. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The baitcasters take a little getting used to.Since i changed i like them better.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use both, I like using spinning and baitcasting reels. You use reels like a tool, to get the job done.

9. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would not say that you are limiting your self, I use to use all spinning reels but then I got off in to baitcasters and now all but one of my reels are baitcasters.

10. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    The new Abu reels have the breaks just like the bass reels and are alot easier to use. Set the breaks one on one off one on one off etc,and they work great. You have to set the side break knob(it sets it for the begining of the cast) to the weight you are useing. Adjust the knob so when you push your thumb bar or release that the bait drops slow and dosnt over run(birds nest) I suggest you try a buddys baitcaster out before you buy one of the reels because they are expensive( my ABU 6600 C4 run 99.00 to 109.00). With some practice you can do it , my daughter uses one now and shes 19. You have more power with the baitcasters but a good quality spinning reel will do the job to,Its a matter of preference. Hope this helps you out.:wink:

11. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I also use both, I used spinning reels exclusively all my life, and I am getting to really like my baitcasters. But both types of reels have their place. I really think it depends on what you like and are most comfortable with. I do know it does take time to figure out the baitcaster after using spinning reels for a long time. Give it enough time to really determine if baitcasters work for you or not. You may really get to like them...

12. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Always used baitcasters. But have thought about trying a spinning.

13. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i fish with both, i love both, i own several of both. they each have there times, and can be better at diff things than the other. imho anybody who uses only 1 type or another is limiting thereselves, but thats only my opinion, to each his own. my opinion is generally worth just what you paid for it lol