Which one is it in the rivers here.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by ravenloft420, Apr 2, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    shad or asian carp?? anyone made any decisions yet? I know shad are tried and trued but Iv been hearing more and more that the bigheads are the way to go. Im sure Im not the only one wondering this.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    The way to go would be whatever they are used to eating. In the past, shad was very high on their diet. In the last year or so, we have noticed that Bighead carp are increasingly becoming there choice. In my opinion, it's still in the transitional phase, so either will work.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I like to use shad and other fish in that family in the spring time. Come summer it seems the bite dies off using shad. When the heat starts cooking it's time to start using cut carp.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Kutter is correct. There has been a very distinct trend towards getting better bites and more fish on the asians. Just on my own experiences lately, I can tell you I'm spending alot more time getting an asian or two in the boat then I am messing with the shad. They just arnt belting them agressively like they use to. I'm just about committed to fishing with the Asians all the time. Of course thats fishing for the blues. The Flatheads will require live shad, or live bait of some kind. I try not to make it a personal decision, I just try to figure out what the fish want and give it to them. Seems all of my bigger fish are coming from baits "other than shad." If thats what they want, I will see to it they get it. :big_smile:

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I guess I'm gonna have to try them asians. I've been using shad since February, and I haven't even caught a fish.:angry: plus, with the river being up, the shad are scattered, and are getting hard to come by. I went to bass pro the other night and got some snagging hooks, so hopefully I can get some carp in the boat, and change my gameplan a little bit!:tounge_out:

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You will find in our area Gary that the asians are outfishing the shad 10-1. Like I said I fished hard for 7 hours the other day. I'll admit it was a slow bite, but my shad didnt get touched. I had two rods rigged with asians and they got the bites. One of the bites was a real nice rip, but he missed the hook. I had a piece about 12 inches long on and didnt use a stinger hook. My own fault really. I'm finding you cant beat the asians for the Blues, at least in our stretch of the river. Not to mention, they cant get those pieces of asians off the hook no matter how hard they try. As well, seems the gar dont prefer the asians too much so you dont have to waste time with those stupid things. I made a long post last year on how I like to prepare my asians as cut bait as it seems to work pretty darn good. I received several PM's from BOC brothers that said they had some outstanding luck with the method also so there seems to be something to it. I'll see if I can find that post. As well, I think next time out I'll try and take some digital photos of my bait rigs so others can try it out and see what they think. Hope you get your rig fixed soon. Your welcome to go with me anytime. I'll probably go out thurs or friday. You 2 Kutter. If you think your fur can handle the chilly weather coming up, your always welcome. You know that. :cool2:

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Thanks Cuz, any information would be helpful. I have never used anything other that cut shad, bluegill, and goldfish. I would've liked to use some carp when I was out there last Friday, but I didn't have the hooks to snag em with so I headed back to the docks. That's what I get though for going out unprepared!:eek:oooh: Since the boat is broke down and it takes $$$$$ to get it fixed,:crazy: I'm boatless for a couple of weeks. It's almost depressing having a boat in the driveway that you can't use. As far as this week, I'd love to go, but I will be out of town until about noon on Friday, If you go out then, I'm definetely game. Just let me know.

8. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Cuz,

If one doesn't jump in the boat, how do I go about snagging an Asian carp? I think I'm finally going to make it out on the big river Friday and would gladly put aside the cast net if I could.

Thanks

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    gpolce...I catch those darn asians in the throw net just like catching the shad! I usually catch asians that are around 7-9 inches and cut those up...I don't usually mess with em if they're any bigger than that...just cut em up and throw em over boat!

In my personal experience, I too have had more success with the asians rather than the shad...both in the missouri and the mississippi

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Good question Greg. The way that works for me is to head straight for the very slack water behind the wing dykes. During daylight hours you will find the asians stacked up in the deep water behind the wing dykes. They are real easy to see on any fish finder. If its asians, you will see them stacked up from the bottom all the way up to 10-15 feet off the bottom. Soon as I find them, I pitch my snaggin rig off the back of the boat and rip it back in. Usually only takes me three or four cast and I have one on. I like to use the the bigger asians carps. I'd say they average around 15 pounds or so. That way, one fish last me all day long for bait. If its out of snagging season, you have two choices. You can try to get them in your bait nets, or you can keep snagging. We could argue ethics for a month of sundays on snagging for Asian carp out of season, but I seriously doubt very many wardens will punish you for putting a couple asian carps in the boat. Besides, if your treble hook has bait on it, its not snagging. :roll_eyes:

11. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I was thinking the same thing about snaggin out of season for asians. Its the cheapest and easiest way the catch them that I know of. and yes I doubt doc would care very much. even if they did ...were just doing the river a favor by killing those stupid things. no harm,no foul. (except maybe a "foul hook"):big_smile:

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    All the asian carp I've ever caught were either in my throw net or jumped in my boat. Never tried snagging, but hear it's a lot of fun.

Getting them to jump in the boat isn't too difficult but can be *really* hard on the boat and equipment in it. So think twice whether you want to go that route -- when one jumps in, it will start flopping wildly, gushing blood and crapping all over the place. Best bet is to have a billy club and a bucket ready - when one jumps in, whack it good and get it in the bucket before it bleeds and poops all over the place.

No matter how I catch them, I like for them to bleed out into the bucket first, then I take the fish OUT OF THE BOAT (on a sandbar or dike) and fillet it out. Put the chunks and all of the blood in a zip-lock bag and get it on ice. The blood seems to soak in to the meat. They make too much of a mess to cut up in the boat.

Some folks leave the skin on, some take it off, exposing as much of the red meat as possible. I've done better on skinless chunks personally. But it's a lot of work. The skin is like leather - so once it's on the hook, it'll stay there forever.

Up in the KC area, most folks report that the carp works better in the heat of the summer -- July-September or so -- but there's certainly no harm in keeping one or two poles baited with carp if you can.

13. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    We have been using Asian for bait for the past three years or more. A lot of the locals laughed at me until they started seeing me catch blues
    from 50lbs and up. But like Marty said, seems like I catch more on it in hot weather. But in the Dog Days of summer other bait gets harder to come by so maybe I just use more Asian carp in hot weather. I never thought about snagging for them out of snagging season. I can't Imagen the conservation dept. getting bent up about it. But if any of you guys come to Carroll County you want to make sure your strait, our agent is a by the books kinda of guy. I get along with him just fine(But I am a Law abiding man:cool2: ;) But anyway if you want Asia carp its not hard to snag right now. Last week I filleted eight of the nasty bastards and vacuumed bagged Twenty-five pounds of chunks ready for a hook. It may not be as good as fresh cut bait but this summer it will be easy to grab a bag and head to the river. Good Luck everyone. Sound like we are going to have to bundle up to fish.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Hope you have better luck using frozen carp than I've had -- it turns to mush when it thaws out worse than any other bait I've seen....:angry:

15. Jason G

Jason G New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If I am having a hard time netting a asian carp and none jumped in the boat I have had really good luck using corn. I just fill up the hook and throw it out. They are fun to catch and if you are in an area with alot of carp it doesnt take long to hook one and you dont have to worry about getting introuble "snagging".

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Are you referring to the common carp you are catching on corn Jason? I've never heard of anyone being able to catch the asian carps since they are planktonic filter feeders. If its indeed asians your catching, I'll give it a try.

17. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I ocasionally get a common carp or two in my net when I am netting shad on the lake. Would these work as well as the asians for bait? Or are the blues particular to the asians?

18. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It's 6 one way half a dozen the other. I like the silver carp better then again I know other people who like common carp more. Personally I think it's easier for fish to digest smaller scales from the silvers. Rather then the bigger scales from the common. That and it seems the Asians are real nasty and just plane smell.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I've found they perform about the same. Doesnt seem to be too much difference. The common carps are very bloody just like the Asians. I wouldnt hesitate to use them as bait.

20. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I will always remove the skin so the scales are never a problem. I will leave one very small area at the end of my piece of bait with the skin attached and thats where I will put my hook. This way, the fish cannon pull your bait off the hook.