Which moon phase is the best?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by YUKON JACK, Feb 11, 2008.

1. YUKON JACK

YUKON JACK New Member

State:
    WASHINGTON
    WHICH MOON PHASE IS BEST FOR FISHING FOR CHANNEL CATS ON A SHALLOW MUD FLAT? DOES THE MOON OR LIGHT REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE?

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Given a choice I would pick a dark night; moonless or overcast. However, I am rarely given a choice and will fish any chance I get. On moonlit nights fish the very edge of the flat or the deeper water next to it...W

3. LadyTurkeyHunter

LadyTurkeyHunter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This is one of my favorite discussion topics all though many differ in opinions. Also depends on the depth and location of water you are fishing. Since I fish mostly small rivers where the average hole of water is probably under 5 ft with an occasional 10 ft hole I prefer a dark moon, no moon or an over cast. Many times I have fished during a full moon but fished the side of the river most shaded and found this some what productive but not nearly as productive as a dark or no moon. I rarely fish ponds or lakes for catfish.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I prefer the Dark of the moon.

5. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    I read something a few years ago from a man named John Alden Knight called the "Solunar Theory".
    He put together a list of 33 factors which influence or control day to day behavior of fresh and salt water fish. And he meticulously took everything into account that could possibly have any bearing on the matter.

If you really want to read something interesting on this subject, i suggest you google "Solunar Theory" John Alden Knight.

Or you can look it up at the Library of Congress website...

*Moonup~Moondown ... Library of Congress #72-93383 Solunar Services

6. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Since you are referring to shallow water, the moonlight is likely to affect you negatively. The new moon phase likely doing you the most justice. Or just be extra cautious to movement and vibrations

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Definitely not the full moon for flatheads in the river I fish. It's so bad during a full moon, I don't even bother.

8. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I don't fish a lot at night but according to my log book I have had considerably better luck fishing (during the day) during a new or small moon phase.

9. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    i dont go by that yukonjack:smile2:

10. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Honestly i have tended to like the moon on the full phase 3/4 to full and thats what always works good for me. seem like the bigger ones came on those nights. The size of the water didnt matter white river and ohio both full moon is what i think.

11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Have kept a log on this subject and the weather phases for a while now. My luck is the absolute best on a new moon. Even better than just a new moon is a new moon with a front on the door step........ better hold'em tight

12. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I fished a shallow river for flats and payed attention to the moon and always liked the dark.