Which model ABU 6500?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by brinley45cal, Dec 18, 2005.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Im going to get an ABU 6500 and was wandering what model do you brothers recommend C3,C4 or what?Also i noticed that where it tells you how much a certian test line it will hold only goes to 17# test,can you put heavier line on it like 20 or 30# test on it?Your input would be greatly appreceaited.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I dont know what model to tell you to get, but I do know that you can put bigger line on it, I put 20-25lb line on mine. :)

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would reccomend the C3 IT has a lower gear ratio.

4. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    The C3 has a slower, more powerful gear ratio. I use 20# Stren on all of mine without any problems. Casts like a dream. :D

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah go with the c3, it holds all the 25# test i need. ive even had 30 on them. dont know if theyre still available but try to get one without instant anti-reverse. i have a smaller one and its a big pain. the handle is so sensitive that it will sometimes engage in the middle of casting a big bait. freind had one dragged in ,channel took off with it so fast the vibrations engaged the reel.

6. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Ibelieve the c3 is the way to go.No complaints about castin distance with 20lb line.One of my best reels! :cool:

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How about a 6500 Trophy. If I'm not mistaken, arent they geared the same as a C3? I just like the look of the Trophy, plus the power handle.

8. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    It depends on what you want to do with it and what your price range is.

Abu just "re-released" some of their European models which are mouth-watering to say the least. Check out hatterasoutfitters.com and follow the "reels" link to the "conventional reels"

My-O-My, that Blue Yonder makes me melt :wub: The CT frame (sans levelwind) is the cat's meow if you're looking for casting performance.

If you don't want to spend a "buck fifty" and optimum casting performance is not important, you can't go wrong with any of the basic models. Just match specs up with your needs.
    /Scott

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hatteras outfitters puts togather a fine reel got a 7001 bg from em at the end of the summer and put it on a #3 jim moyer rod. had ceramic drag washers and some high speed bearings put in it. the only thing i wish i had done to is to put some lower gears in it, but no big thing

10. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    I had carbon drag washers put on it not ceramic

11. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Tres carries gear upgrades. It would be an easy mod.
    /scott

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for the info brothers.I was thinking about getting the C3 but but i wanted to find out what everyone else thought about it.Ive just got into baitcasters this year so im still learning about them.I got an ABU 7000 for my birthday and love it,so i wanted to add a few more to my catfishing arsenal.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is the correct answer to your question:

ONE OF EACH! :p

14. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

LOL@Mellon!!!!

I have a C3, and a C4 highspeed. I love the C3, but haven't been able to use the C4 yet to give my opinion on it.

Ray

15. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    I have the purple 6500 c4 le from the catfish connection and love it the new carbon matrix drag washers are very smooth .it came with the power handle, lower 5.3-1 gear ratio and it is very smooth plus its purple like it alot.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've been wanting that reel for quite some time (well... since I first heard/saw it)

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Purple....hmmm..... :glare: ....Just kidding, it does look like a nice reel had my eye on it......but getting a penn instead. :)

18. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
  19. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    mudhole c3=5.3 purple c4le=5.3to 1 gear lower gear ratio +4 bearing