which line to use for my baitcaster

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catoon, Sep 18, 2008.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i have power pro on my spinning reels but i was told if i use mono on my new baitcasters it would cast better i have

2. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I have a pflueger PFL 66 baitcaster and I use power pro 30 lb braid But I use mono underneith the braid It seams if I use all braid If I get a big fish my line digs in and it gets to be a mess. But I use a special knot to join the mono with the braid and I put like only 75 to 100 yards of braid on top of a almost full spool of mono. This is what the guide told me when I went out blue fishing. And if any fish is going to ruin your reel or make your line dig in its blue fish for their size they fight hard. Anyways for catfish I use braid over mono give it a try Their are only a couple of knots that really work when joining mono to braid so be carefull when you join the 2 Mono does cast better but I love braid and it seams with mono under the braid it does cast better I also use an arbor under my line so the line doesnt spin on the spool. I hope this helps a little PM me and let me know

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I had never put braid on my baitcast because I was worried it would "dig in". I always wondered if it did and it seems it does lol.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    you can use braid on baitcasters but I have found that if you soak the line before putting it on your reel that it will load up tighter and will not dig in when your fighting a big fish. I have 300yds of spider wire 50# braid on one of my reels and had the digging in problem at first until I took it off and soaked it and then spooled it back on the reel as tight as I could and now I don't have that problem.

5. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i personally use cajun red mono about 50yds under about 100-150yds of 100# fireline seems to work great and dont have to worry about breaks or the line digging into the reel as long as i put on the mono first

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I use #65 power pro on my 6500 and 7000 pro rockets and they cast great with no problems. I have each on a 12' rod because I only bank fish the river. I had some problem with the line digging in when I tried #50, but that was probably my fault for trying to pull the line out of snags, which will bury the line. Good luck

7. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i really like ande premium mono.. the envy green just glows in daylight and with a black light at night.. the 30lb test has worked great for me. and the best part about it... it is only about $8 for 400 yards. Catfish Safari sells at and I've gotten it from BPS as well.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use 20lb mono line on spinning and baitcaster reels.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,
    I've got a baitcasting reel with 50# Power Pro Braid and when putting it on the reel I used pretty good tension to keep it tight, haven't had any problems with it, no slipping or digging in.
    I also use 30# Berkeley Big game and like that also.
    The braid has a different feel to it, like it's more presision somehow...

10. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Spool it tight and you should have good luck with braid on your baitcasters... I really like it on mine.