Which is better?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bigtater, Jan 23, 2008.

1. bigtater

bigtater New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Hey guys and gals. Im just looking for a little insight here. Im planning on buying a big reel for cats and some Saltwater surf fishing and was Trying to decide between a pflueger g30 or a penn 320gt2. Anyone with experience with these reels please give me some insight. I know the penn is a little more expensive but i hear good things about em and want something thats gonna hold up. Any info is much appreciated.

2. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Both of these are very good reels. The only thing I've noticed is that it seems like it's harder to get parts for the Pflueger. Can't go wrong with a Penn 320 but I do like my G30 also, LOL.

3. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Penns seem to hold up in salt water better than anything I've ever had. For fresh water its about even...

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    had a penn 320 didnt really like it but im a abu man lol:wink:

5. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY

Well, nobody's perfect, LOL.

I did get an abu 7000IC3 for Christmas and I do really like it. They are just pricey.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i'm an abu man myself, but if just considering penns and pflugers, i would always go with penn. I liked the penns i've messed around with and my buddy has several that are older than me.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have used Penn reels for a long time. No complaints here.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i have a 320 ld not the gt2 but they share some parts. and i have the g30 as far as build goes the two are almost the same. theirs some g30 pfluegers on ebay that will probally go cheep. and a couple stores like b@ss pro has them on sale. i vote pflueger

9. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    As most of the people here. I've owned all types of reels over the years and IMO Penn's about as good as it gets. Durable ,easy to work on should the rare occurance arise and easy to get parts for.

10. bigtater

bigtater New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Yeah it seems like both reels have a loyal following. I am kinda partial to the penn. I hear lots of good things about em. Are they a fairly castable reel? Ive chunked a 7000 a few times are the penns comparable?

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You'll also want to condider the Abu 9000 Big Game. It's plenty big and casts so much easier and farther than the Penns. It's not just a bigger 7000, I tore one down and compared it to my Penn, and sold the Penn! You can find them anywhere from 70.00 on up. I snag spoonbill with mine and have landed some really big ones, never a problem.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane your going to love that Christmas gift. I own several and have never looked back.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a Penn 345 GTI spooled with 600 yards of 30 lb.mono for fresh/salt water fishing.It will also hold 375 yards of 50 lb.mono.I like it and others say they do.The 600 yards of 30 is handy for saltwater fishing if you tie into a huge fish from pier,beach or boat.I sure wish they made them when I was fishing for Cobia and King Mackerel offshore!

As for casting.I have seen children casting all sizes of Penn reels for over 50 years.If you you don't wish to take the time to learn to cast,by all means buy the reel with the skill built into it.They seems to be the most popular now days.

You might wish to check out the Shimano Charter Special 2000 LD lever drag reel.Stainless steel gears & bearings,beefed up level wind and holds 300 yards of 20 lb.mono.I was checking out the abu 7000 LD and the Penn LD.I compared them all side by side and brought home the Charter Special.And yes,I was and still am a Penn man so I surly thought it a lot better.The smoothness in the SS gears and bearings sold me.As a 40 year mechanic and chemical plant maintenance man,I knew that kind of smoothness in a set of SS gears normally cost thousands of dollars.The drag was also the smoothest and is built for 100 miles of drag to be pulled before deterioration of performance.That is a lot of drag.Oh yea,I forgot to mention that this reels drag is maximum rated for 33 pounds!

Anyone checking out Lever Drag reels for the first time,please read the directions first before setting the drag.Failure to do so can ruin the reel and give you a false impression of it.They are not like regular drags

Also you might wish to check out the Cabela's Salt Striker SS6600X or Pflueger Trion 66 which are the same reels in my belief as they have the same schematics and parts.I have seen the Trion 66 on fishing shows catching big Santee Cats to Red Fish in saltwater.They are rated for 160 yards of 20 lb.mono.I don't know how much,but I put a pile of 30 lb.braid on two off of a 1500 meter spool.They seem to cast well with it per others and these reels have the gimmicks in case you do not want to learn to cast.They are so easy that they are great for beginners,children and cripples like me.

Let us know what you decide and how you like your purchase.I would have one of each kind made if I could afford it.

I believe that you and only you can pick the best reel for you.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee