Which is better?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catfish_jordan, Jul 11, 2006.

1. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    which do you think is better fiberglass or graphite for over all performence?:confused2:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I get whatever I can get cheap brother. Does not matter to me.

Not sure what it is made of but I really loved my Berkley Reflex Rod. That thing was tough.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like them both and fish with both

4. catfish_jordan

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    almost all my graphite rods have broke. does that mean they where too cheap?:confused2:

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What you mean was, Willis...?

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Graphite rods are damaged way easier then fiberglass! They have more sensitivity but are less forgiving! I like e-glass rods which use the best features of glass and graphite!

7. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    That's a loaded question to which there's no answer. Graphite is far superior where sensitivity is needed, such as jigging. However, it's breaks easily, as mentioned. Glass rods aren't nearly as sensitive, but have far greater "toughness". For catfishing purposes, glass is typically the best way to go.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cant say it any better than Mike just did & beleive me Mike knows his catfish. :worship: He & Robby have caught fish that I can only dream of. I perfer EGlas becasue I am extremely rough w/ my rods & dont do much finese catfishing such as drifting for Blues. But I do know those that do lots of drifting usually hold the hod in their hand & like the graphite becasue they can feel the sensative bites.

9. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I like eglass rods!!!!!!

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    For catfishing Eglass rod are what I use. I don't care about feeling the bite as much as having a forgiving rod when the big ole cats come out to play. Also you need to follow the rod recommendations about line and ure weights closr with graphit.

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Was means it flew in the GMR a couple weekends ago unfortunatly.

12. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Yup about the same doesn't matter to me:0a23:

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    If your using circle hooks and need a rod that will load up then fiberglass is the ticket. E-Glass is excellent for toughness. Graphite is the choice when looking for a sensitive rod.

14. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    A lot depends upon how you are going to be fishing. If you are going to be doing a lot of casting and retriving like the bass guys do with spinnerbaits and crankbaits then graphite pays off in its lightness and sensitivity. And, also for fishing plastic worms and drop shoting. However, many of the bass guys much prefer a fiberglass or e-glass type rod for their crankbait rods.

Each rod material has its place for the type of fishing you might be doing. I know of one guy who uses G Loomis light action graphite spinning rods for his "cattin" and only uses 10 pound test line and he has caught many channel cats, up to around the 30 pound mark with them.

However, if you are planning on throwing some big baits and heavy weights and not continually casting and retriving. And, want rods that can withstand a lot more abuse, fiberglass and e-glass are hard to beat.

15. catfish_jordan

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    if any one is wandering what rod i use i use a browning silaflex hi density tubular fiberglass construction. for my reel i have a daiwa procaster 4000. my other rod i have is a daiwa D force fiberglass rod.

thanks

16. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    If my memory serves me correctly, most Shakespear Ugly Stick models are a combination of graphite and fiberglass, and the closer to tip, the higher the percentage of fiberglass down to the clear tip, which is 100% fiberglass. I love them for their comprimise between sensitivity and extreme strength.

17. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was about to mention those too. Ugly Stiks are just about the only thing I will buy now.

18. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    idk man my graphite rods have broke too.....and they never have a really good action either...so i would stick with fiberglass...or e-glass

19. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    In reading both posts on the Long vs. Short and Fiberglass/E-Galss/Graphite, I have simple but specific opinions!!! I for one have learned to use Longer rods since I have been in Europe. The ability to control a fish at distance is a Big Positive. I to arrived here with my Bass gear and was Out classed by the FISH! I actually brought out my surf rod and used it until I could purchase more EURO Style equipment. This was a Fiberglass rod that was 12ft. and it was what I had at the time. I now use 12 or 13ft. Graphite rods for Carp and other species of gamefish. For the Cats, I use E-Glass CatMaxx rods of 10 and 11ft. to handle the power of these Great Fish. Where a lot has been said about the sensetivity of graphite, they are also Very Strong. I have a pair that are specificly setup to target the Wels with spinner baits. I Trust that they will handle any fish that I can hook into. The one restriction that I would put on them is having a BOAT close to follow one of these Great fish after the take. The amount of line that one can pull off is shocking. For this reason and this alone I would be concerned. For my Sea fishing, I primarily use E-glass rods and have recently tried an In-line Graphite. I found it to be lighter and also Very Strong. I have had fish to 25lb. and hang ups that were scarry as well. It was not a problem of strength and the weight factor proved to be a Big Positive. This has been my 2 cents worth on both topics. Use the one that is Best suited to the JOB!!!!!

HOPPY4

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I don;t feel so lonely anymore in my rod opinions.A long limber rod is far more forgiving than a short,or short stiff one in the same weight class.It is also more forgiving when the fish is close.Having said this,a long pole is often a hassle where transport and fishing room comes into play.peewee-williams