Which is better...

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Wil, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    for catfish? braided line or monofilament. i know theres gonna be a lot of opinions but i dont know the answer and i want to get it right.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My opinion mono is better, but many use braid that feel it's better.

3. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ok thanks, keep the opinions coming

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Both have their place. I like mono, because It's more affordable for me. When I take care of it and tie my knots right it's never failed me.

5. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    thanks, i always thought braided but i know mono is good too

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would have to say mono for obvious reasons. Price being one and it doesn't fray like braid can. Also, if you ever get a tangle with braid, it takes a lot longer to get out as well.

7. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you use the braided line make sure you back it up with mono at the spool. I like the strength/diameter of the braided but if you don't back it up you will have reel slippage under a heavy load.

8. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    With braid you have to watch the line on the spool if you have realy gorillaed the the line on to the spool I would check to se if it is bound up on the spool otherwise you wil get a big suprise when you make a strong cast usually the line willo bind and then snap.

SE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOC NATIONAL GATHERING

9. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ok, now im thinkin mono would work better, i guess ill get that. thanks for all ur help

10. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    both have their place i use mono personaly just because its cheap and easy to get, but if your going to be fishing really deep or far out(some where you wont be able to feel well with mono) then i use braided its more sesnitive cuz it has no stretch what so ever. hope this helps:cool2:

11. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I prefer braided. I get much, much stronger hooksets and the lower diameter is much easier to cast. My 80lb. Power Pro has a smaller diameter than 20lb. mono. Plus the stuff lasts forever.

12. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yep. The fraying and tanglin' is a real pain. Plus the mono is a lot easier to cut, bite, or burn.

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been using nothing but braided (Power Pro), but I will soon be taking up the baitcasting reel again. With my relative inexperience with that, I will be using mono. Backlashes with braid are a total bear and expensive if you can't get them out.

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    MONO all the way, I wouldn't use anything else, I've fished in all types of conditions, saltwater, freshwater, Catfishing, Bass Fishing, Shark Fishing, etc. I have used different sizes of Mono for years, I have tried braided and hate the stuff. I have full confidence in Berkely Big Game, I like 30lb in the 'Solar' green color. Also, I have used Silver Thread and put it to the max, and it didn't let me down.

15. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico

Do u use braid on a spinning reel? how do u do it? and what lb test do u use? pm me on this k. thanks