Which is better for big catfish - Baitcast or Spinning Combos?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by flathead_ky, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Horsehead

Horsehead Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Jeff Burns
    Talk about a zombie thread! 11 years later, don't hold your breath for a response from the people you're quoting. ;-)

rnickel17, OkSixpack, Fate and 2 others like this.
  2. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Lynn
    Some things are worthy of being revisited once in a while... New designs and all that.

rnickel17, OkSixpack, Fate and 2 others like this.

3. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Definitely.

Would be nice to see all the guys who no longer particapate come back.

rnickel17, OkSixpack and Fate like this.
  4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would have to say I "PREFER" baitcasters over spinning reels. I used spinners exclusively my first 25 years fishing. Last 9 I have been using baitcasters for big cats and spinning for everything else. I just like them better. I have a few buddies who only use spinning reels. We have caught fish up to 60+ on spinning reels and I just like baitcasters better when we need 12-20oz. I feel like I have more control over the fish when anchored in current where we need the bigger weights just to hold bottom. I also like casting 16oz and a giant piece of bait a lot better with my baitcasters on the boat. I don't think the spinning combos required to throw those kinds of weight are practical on most boats. Could you imagine casting multiple (6-14)10-14' surf rods from a boat?

5. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Casting extra large weight and bait is definitely where baitcasters shine in my opinion as well, they also crank it in without as much difficulty as spinners.

As a side note, casting 20oz of weight and bait with a spinner can cut your fingers clean off if you are not careful, usually I wrap my fingers in athletic tape if I do cast that much with spinners. :laugh:

And yeah, seeing a bunch of 14ft rods hanging off a boat would be kind of funny, probably even more funny trying to cast rods that long with your buddies standing right behind you.:smile1:

rnickel17 and ramon06 like this.
  6. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    The one big advantage I have found with spinners is the retrieve speeds, faster is better when fishing from shore. IMHO.

rnickel17 and ramon06 like this.
  7. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    No doubt I agree with you. I don't believe any one is better than the other. There's pros and cons to each. I believe it's all user preference. Some like spinners, some like baitcasters, some like both. It's situational Imho. If I weren't using the weights and fishing the current I am, I probably would've never switched to baitcasters. I hated those things soooooo bad lol I learned on a ugly stik tiger rod and a penn 309 with 100lb braid, boy boy boy did I want to throw that thing in the river on many occasions lol

rnickel17 and Beastly Backlash like this.
  8. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
  9. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Lynn
    Just got my wife a Penn Battle 2 6000, had a Bass Pro gift card burning a hole in my pocket... Pretty good drag, pretty good line capacity, and auto bail (she requested that).

ramon06, rnickel17, OkSixpack and 2 others like this.
  10. Josey1965

Josey1965 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Josey
    I like both.

The new, large sizes (saltwater models) are just as good as anything else for freshwater. That guy Yuri Gresendi (or however you spell it) in Europe that catches the monster Wels catfish uses spinning reels (well he also uses both)...pretty sure they can swallow most of our catfish.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    rnickel17 and OkSixpack like this.
  11. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    I have the 3000 and like it

ramon06, rnickel17 and OkSixpack like this.
  12. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    I would be all for this fish being stocked in all major US rivers.

13. Josey1965

Josey1965 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Josey
    I would love to see them even in some contained areas.

They would probably help out a lot with the asian carp (silver and bighead) problem.

In know...one invasive species to fight another one....

well, it's too late. The genie is out of the bottle and nothing we are currently doing is putting him back in.

Bring in some big monster predators and let them eat the genie instead of trying to shove it back in the bottle.

ramon06 likes this.
  14. Jim dandy

Jim dandy Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    James Loerzel
    I use both but it's about the retrieve rate, the higher the ratio the larger the gear difference and that friction and wear, most of the baitcaster reels we are using are the lower gear ratio models, there are now high ratio baitcaster, but most of those would fall in with spinning reels. What I'm seeing now is a lot more spinning reels with a lower gear ratio, which would provided more power, less and less wear.

ramon06 likes this.
  15. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Active Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    I think you are right. Even the way the line comes off of each reel is different and much sturdier with a baitcaster. A big fish has the potential to max the drag on most spinner reels. That and if the bail on a spinner isn't closed right or the line isn't where it's supposed to be it can open. I'm not experienced enough with baitcasters but after using spinners my whole life I can tell you what I like and don't like about them!

ramon06 and rnickel17 like this.
  16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Every reel and pole has its place in my opinion. I like shorter rods with baitcasters fishing out of the boat. But prefer longer rods with spinning reels from the bank.

17. DanL

DanL New Member

State:
    Texas
    If I were fishing for ONLY trophy class catfish I would want a baitcaster. Big cats like big baits and casting big baits with heavy weights is the domain of the baitcasting reel. For anything much smaller than just the biggest fish I don't think there is any reel advantage that either reel has that isn't offset by advantages the other has in other areas. I have an love the 6000/6500 size ABUs but also have gotten fond of the bigger baitrunner spinning reels for shore fishing.

ramon06 likes this.
  18. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Most modern SW spinners have drag capabilities in excess of 25lb to 40lbs. The typical baitcaster or conventional reel we have available too us rarely goes above 20lbs of max drag.

The true strength of a spinner lies in their drag function, retrieve speed, and ability to cast well in the nastiest of conditions.

The biggest strength I have found in bait casting and conventional reels is their cranking prowess, casting distance, and long term durability.

19. JByrd

JByrd Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    It is probably somewhat like the best deer rifle, it really can't be one over the other. The most important things are condition of equipment, skill of the person, confidence in the equipment they have. Remember, David had a sling and several smooth rocks.

ramon06 and rnickel17 like this.
  20. mfeagin22

mfeagin22 Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think the problem with this debate is that most people are looking at “spinning reels” as Shakespeare Catfish edition reels and stuff like that, (nothing wrong with a $30 combo from Walmart, anything that gets people out fishing is great) and comparing the longevity of them with their $150 Ambassadeur 7000s.. I personally am a huge Ambassadeur fan, I have everything from a 4601 UltraCast up to 7000s, but I’ve also got a couple spinning reels that absolutely blow them out of the water in every form or fashion. Hell my slammer 3s have 60lbs of drag.. I’ve never even come close to cranking them down to full drag catching sharks five times the size of the world record Blue cat.. not saying they are “better” than casting reels but they definitely aren’t just flimsy little bass fishing reels.

ramon06 and Blade4130 like this.