Which is better for big catfish - Baitcast or Spinning Combos?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by flathead_ky, Mar 23, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What do you prefer to use when fishing for big cats? A spinning or baitcaster combo?

2. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Baitcasters all the way. :)

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I definitely prefer baitcasting for BIG cats, but I think that spinning is fine for fish up to 20#-25# or so, even larger in open water. I just think that the drag systems on large revolving spool reels are better than the ones on large spinning reels. That's just my feeling; I don't have any proof to back it up, so if anyone has proof to prove me wrong (or right), please post it.

4. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Few yrs ago I would have said spinning,now baitcasters.

5. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mabe spinning for longer casts. But for doing battels with big cats casting has way more advantages over spinning.

6. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    :grin-big: :006: I have several of each and I enjoy both them. Whatever catches the fish is what I like. LOL

Here fishy, fishy

7. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would go w/ the baitcaster for bigger fish.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I vote with jtrew.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I will put my Shimano Baitrunner 6500B up against any Casting reel of similar size, cant beat the baitrunner.

10. fishnhut

fishnhut New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've used both but am far more comfortable with the spinning.

11. Ducain

Ducain New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Definitely baitcasters for pure cranking power.

If you're a boat guy, you really don't have to worry about long casting, and if you're a bank guy, the baitcaster is still your friend if used properly.

The first time I saw BigFish fling a 2oz sinker and half a shad WAY out into the Kanawha river from the bank, I was sold. You can make em zing if you draw back and give it some muscle. ;)

12. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i like my penn spinning reel. i'm way more accurate with a spinning since i use them for ba$$ fishing. i have a hard time getting the same accuracy with a baitcaster. i'm sure if i spent the day just casting a weight into the water i could get fairly decent at it, but who has time for that. baitcasters are nice in the sense that they have baitclickers and are generally more rugged. on the downside there always the chance of getting a "birds nest" in the spool. it happens to everyone and it sucks sitting there picking it apart while your baits in the water. spinning reels on the other hand cast easier and there backlash proof. another nice feature of a spinning reel is having the option of changing spools out with different types/wieght line. light salt water spinning reels will do the job on pretty much any catfish while the smaller ba$$ fishing types will catch channel cats and medium blues and flatties. whatever fits your style of fishing, needs and budget:)

13. Catmeister

Catmeister New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like baitcasters personally. I use spincasters for most other things but for catfishing I like baitcasters.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    On a friendly note I would be interested in seeing a list of the "way more advantages" of the baitcasters over spinning.I would also be interested in seeing a post from someone that actually has tested the "Cranking"Power of both side by side with the same weights and conditions.I'm not sure what cranking power really is because unless you mount one of each reel in a static position without a rod and attach a weight to each it will be hard to quantify.I have "Cranked" up a number of cats in the +50 range with a PENN 7500 spinner without the slightest problem.With the "Lift,Drop and Reel technique commonly used on big fish the "Power" factor is centered more in the rod than the reel.Spinning reels are used in the surf ,from ocean piers and boats to subdue the largest of fish like tarpon,kings,reds,stripers,sharks etc every single day.I doubt if either group would be seriously handicapped if they HAD to switch today as part of an experiment.I routinely go back and forth without even thinking about it.If you drift fish from a boat with 100 yds of line out and use 6 outfits or more you will notice one advantage of spinning right away when you go to reel those babies up.:) :p :rolleyes: ;)