Which guides have you fished with in Santee?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by mhbomber, Dec 10, 2009.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Just wondering who you guys have fished with over the years. I've been out with Roundhill last year and Howard Norris many years back.

2. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I have been out with Capt Jim Kyle. It was supposed to be with Roundhill, but he had boat trouble and set us up with Jim. Definitely no complaints. Got on some nice fish.

3. tillmac

tillmac New Member

State:
    SC
    I've been lucky to have been out with two of the greats - John Sellers and Roundhill.

4. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Daryll Smith, Gus Woodham(several times) ,Steve Shipley, Don Wiles & Mark Stanley

5. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    Jim Glenn, Joe Drose and Scott Cole.

6. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i have went out with josh coggins out of blacks camp and had a great time

7. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I have been out with Josh Coggins when he first started guiding. He had a party to take out on Santee and wanted to pre-fish before he took them out. He ask would i show him around. He is a good friend and a good fisherman. Also went out with Capt Daryll Smith as a friend not a client. Went out with Joe Drose and Lamar Piety. One trip with Lamar and we become friends and i got to fish with him many times fer free. Also fished with Capt Dean Birch a bunch of times, he was the best of all:smile2:
    All was good. Jimmy Jones, Ned Davis, Marvin Ferrell, Charles Davis, now these guys might not have there Capt Lic. but i have learned from them all.:big_smile:

There was this one guide that picked me up out on the lake once. He was from out of Blacks Camp and i never got his name. I had flipped my boat and was floating around on the Lower Lake and he stopped his fishn trip long e- nuff to haul me in. I would love to know his name so i can thank him again:big_smile:

8. Javelin378

Javelin378 New Member

State:
    NC
    I learn about Josh a few months ago. He has a friend that works with me. I'm planning a trip with some family in the near future, this helped me a lot. Looking forward to the trip. Thanks

9. NCSBI185

NCSBI185 Member

State:
    NC
    I’ve been out with Lynwood Thronhill and had a great trip. He is a real character and knows where the fish are at.

10. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Been out with

roundhill -Ron Howard

Joe Carnley - Cheap Hooker fishing

Jim Kyle - Kyle Guide service

Had great time with all of them. Looking great day fishing call anyone of them.

11. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Been out with Furman Casey out of Blacks, and also the late, great, John Sellers several times. Most recently been out with Joe Carnley out of Canal Lakes and been extremely satisfied.

12. GEORGE2

GEORGE2 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I used Ron Howard once before a tourny on santee. I had never fished the lower lake so I wanted someone to show me how to navagate that mine field. Ron showed me where I could go if the wind got bad also showed me about every boat ramp on the lower lake and how to get there by highway. We would stop at a few of his favorite fishing areas where he would say "come here boy and look at these fish on the graph". Ron went above and beyond what I payed him to do, specially since he was also fishing the same tourny the next weekend. With his help me and my fishing partner finished second in the tourny. I would recomend Ron to any fisherman who wants to step up their game. I've also used Gary Hill, Gary is a great catfish guide who will do anything he can to put you on the fish of a life time. My fishing partner's PB came on his boat, a big 40lb flathead. Gary tought me how to drift fish on my first guide trip with him about six years ago, I have used him five more times since then and would also recomend him to anyone. I like to use a guide when fishing new areas or if the whole family wants to go fishing. I get to spend time with the family and don't have to worry with baiting rods and putting everyone on good fish. Just show up with your lunch and be ready to have fun!

13. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Thats why Team Fat Cat knows how to fish. It's the best thing someone can do on New Waters. I was a guide and done it, how you thank i learned how to fish? Them papers sure don't make you a better fisherman

14. GEORGE2

GEORGE2 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    On large lakes such as the Santee Cooper Lakes you could spend a life time trying to figure it out your self, not to mention your life savings in fuel. Hiring a good guide will actually cost you less and you are learning so much more. When I use a guide I pay very close attention to the layout of the area we are fishing and ask a lot of questions such as why the fish are here and why this type of bait and presentation. I very seldom will return to that area to fish, instead I will try to duplicate the same conditions some where else on the lake that time of year. Its all a learning process that is never ending, the fisherman that thinks he knows it all and is not open to change will soon find he is very wrong. What worked yesterday usually won't work tomorrow! Thanks for the nice comments Dean!

15. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I have fished with Gus Woodham and really enjoyed it. He showed me a lot of things that apply to all catfishing. I learned more about catching blues in the late summer/early fall from him than any other fisherman I have been on the boat with. I keep in touch now that I am a guide and run a few ideas on advertising and fishing by him to get a second or third opinion.

16. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Gus use to fish out of Randolphs (i think) I seen a video over there that he had made. Ned Davis always said he was one of the best. I feel they all are pretty good if they have been fishn for awhile. I wish i had the money to support all of them. Man what you could learn

17. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Fished with Roundhill last January. Had a ball and learned more in 1 day than I did the whole time I'd been cattin. I can honestly say that 90% of the fish Ive caught this year was because of somthing he taught us. My only regret is that we didnt do it sooner.

18. Fishin Chick69

Fishin Chick69 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Jim Kyle (many ,many ,many times, always have a great time)

Roundhill...

Darryl Smith...