Which Flathead Catfish sex puts up more of a fight?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Desode, Oct 30, 2008.

Which Flathead sex puts up more of a fight?

1. Male Flatheads fight harder.

2. Female Flatheads fight harder.

3. They both fight just as hard.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been wondering about this question for a long time now and since I'm blessed to be a part of the BOC with all its members full of wisdom, I figured I'd get you all to weigh in on this.
    It has seemed to me that unless a male is really beat up from spawn, most of the males I catch put up more of a fight then the females I catch. I don't know why this seems to be the case for me, maybe it is because the males are more aggressive in nature because they fight more then females in the scheme of Flathead life. I look forward to hearing all your opinions on this.
    Thanks for your time and consideration, Matt AKA DESODE

2. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That's a good question. Now that I think about it, I might be inclined to say that the females put up a bigger fight.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i suppose it would depend on what you fought about.:smile2:

4. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Being a married man of 26 years and 2 Daughters grown and gone out of the house. This is not a hard question:smile2:. Based of factual evidence the female wins everytime. Now to answer your question using nothing more than reasoning and not facts. Id say the female in most cases. Mostly because the larger fish are generally females . Now you hang a nice male and you got one for our side:smile2: Hope that helped

5. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    How can you tell the differance between sexes?

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

A male flathead has balls or nuts?

I would say a female cause the female is always bigger.

7. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Ive been asked this many times, how do you tell them apart. I dont have a clue. I have never known if im catching a female or male of any fish unless thier pregnant or on the bed.

8. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Honestly how do you tell the difference? Ive heard that prespawn males are alot larger than the females then lose weight from not eating while they are guarding the nest! Just what ive heard?

9. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well the boys have one hole and the girls have two. Thats how you tell the difference.
    I'm really surprised so far by the poll .
    I know females are bigger , but in the last 7 years of fishing for flatheads, I have caught a lot of flatheads and the males have out fought the females for me. Most of the big females I have caught have been in the 20 to 40 pound range and I have landed them all in 15 minutes max. The best fights for me have been males in the 15 to 25 pound range. I had a 24.6 pd male fight me for 30 minutes last year with the exact same drag setting as all the others. I use 30 pd spider wire braid and set my drag at 27 pds with a set of digi scales. I'd say every flathead that I has taken me past the 15 minute battle time in the last 7 yrs has been a male. Maybe its the area I fish in at the ohio river, I don't know. I 'm really surprised so far by this poll. My personal best was last weekend and she weighted 41.9 and made it almost 15 minutes before landed. She's featured in my avatar pic and profile pic.
    Thanks for all the comments so far , I really appreciate them.
    Matt AKA DESODE

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    if they fight differently, do they taste differently?

11. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't know I'm all about CPR with Flatties. I only ever eat channel cats. I don't think I could bring myself to eat a FreshWater FreightTrain, I just love them to much. :smile2: Man it just seems wrong HAHA I'd feel like I was eating a family member ! :smile2: Matt AKA DESODE

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I would think it would depend on the time of year. Whether it is pre-spawn, spawn or post spawn If the males are beat up from spawn a female would fight harder. If it is pre-spawn males should fight harder than a female loaded with eggs. This is the way it would seem to me.:wink:

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
  14. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Matt and Bill, I have got to say I have learned more about flatheads, I don't think i knew how much i didn't know. That fish is the avatar certainly appears to have been a fighter male or female, nice fish!

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Well now my interest is peaked on the subject. To be honest, I never thought about it until now. I always looked at them as big ones and eater sized ones.

16. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    You learn something every day. I never even thought it would be that easy to sex them. Im with desode on this one Ive never had a flat fight more than 15 minutes except for twice I landed the one it took a half hour and weighed 44# ive caught bigger but this was the fight of the one landed the other fought even longer but ended up getting hung in an underwater rope or trot line.

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    90% of the time I fish in the snags... 9%, right next to the snags so, 'horsing' is the only option.

18. jimmy willaby

jimmy willaby New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    YOU KISS THEM , IF THEY MAKE GOO GOO EYES AT YOU THEY ARE FEMALE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

19. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I think it depends on their size, and attitude at being caught,,,
    females with eggs seem to be fairly frisky. flatcat or channel...
    Males of size are like a big bull, hard to deal with them. Takes awhile...

Chanels pound for pound seem to fight harder than flatcats.. just my observation.
    But, the larger male flats, have been the most fun for me...

I don't fish where there are any bluecats:cool2:.. but, I hope to one day!

20. Katphish

Katphish New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Yea I agree, I just feel too close to them. haha.....However, I have been known to lick the slime off of em. And in that case they taste about the same. fishy, and kinda gritty from the bottom of the lake. I think it's good luck.