Which do your prefer - yellow or purple?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by AwShucks, Jul 30, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Interesting question, no?

Sun July 30, 2006
    Reddish-purple catfish eggs baffle wildlife officials

EUFAULA - Despite the completion of several tests, officials are still stumped as to why reddish-purple eggs were found in young Lake Eufaula catfish in May.

"At this point, we still don't have a definitive answer as to why these fish eggs were purple," said Ron Suttles, head of the state Wildlife Conservation Department's natural resource division.

Wildlife officials asked the Department of Environmental Quality to conduct tests on the eggs after they were found by anglers.

The agency ran tests for pesticides, organic compounds and metal, said Monty Elder, spokeswoman for the department.

"We found nothing that seemed unusual to us," she said.

But Elder said the agency has never tested fish eggs before and therefore had to rely on tests they usually conduct when testing fish flesh.

"This color could possibly be the result of some biological or chemical makeup ... which we do not have the instruments to test for," she said.

Suttles said the wildlife department has looked into several hypotheses, including egg reabsorption, as to why the eggs were purple, but still do not have any clear answers.

"Everyone was kind of scratching their head, no one had a definitive statement," he said.

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Maybe nature is evloving a new purple catfish. Were the eggs all that color or yellow with a red/purple tint to them? I have noticed the latter sometimes.

3. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Got'a keep that Easter Bunny away from them female catfish.

4. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I remember when that story come out and posted about it on the other BOC forum, but I hadn't heard any more about it?

I wonder if any more have been caught since then?

Ken

5. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    these pics come up with quick time so you may need that to view.

normal eggs

purple eggs

Seems they are still interested in finding out the reason for the color change. My guess is it is caused by man one way or another.

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I heard some K-State boy's went down there for summer vacation.............you've heard what those purple people do with sheep:eek:oooh:

Kidding of course:big_smile:

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Keep us posted if they do come up with an conclusions, that is weird.

8. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i wonder if it is pullution of a new fish

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Ok? I didn't see any purple in those eggs (maybe its my computer, but the gloves looked purple to me) but why don't they INCUBATE them and then test those offspring? Instead of just doing tests on the eggs... maybe those eggs are for Gigantic cats and in the testing process they killed them all :-(...

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

OK I got the answer Bigfoot ate some fish eggs and 8-12 hours later this was the end result. JK a little strange thaough.