Which Deep Cycle Battery?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by catmankev, Feb 26, 2009.

1. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    What Brand and Size of deep cycle battery "Would you/Do you" prefer?

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I haven't had that many in the past but I have 2 Interstate Megatron deep cycles for my trolling motor right now. No complaints.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I went out and looked,, and, the Interstate, Mega-Tron, is what I have also.. Seems powerful, no problems.

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Well from my first pond hopper then my blur star vhull, polar kraft and now my ranger. I have had walley world everstarts and have never had any problems. As long as you take care and maintain a battery I think any brand would be good have.

5. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    My buddy used to be a mechanic and had his own shop. He swears by Interstate batteries and his second choice is AC/Delco. He claims that Exide makes walmart batteries and they are junk.

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm on my 3rd year with 3 Walmart Everstart marine batteries, 2 deep cycle trolling, and 1 deep cycle starting. I have a Dual Pro 3 bank onboard charger/conditioner that's always plugged in if it isnt on the water. I think keeping the batteries fully charged and conditioned is the key to long life for any brand or price of battery.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I would say it's not really the brand it's the style. In my boat I have all AGM batteries. Will never have any other kind of battery in a boat. They are 100% sealed and take the abuse a lot better. Plus they can take a discharge a lot better then the others.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got 5 years out of my last "junkie" Walmart battery. :smile2:
    Onboard charger plugged in 24/7 when not fishing.

9. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I get a good price on battery's from the supplier where I work. Not a name brand battery but they seem to last for years. Like olefin, i keep a trickle charger on my boat battery's when parked at the house. Seems to help the life of the battery if I can keep them charged all the time.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post. Interstate batteries have served me well.

11. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just bought my first AGM battery for the new boat. According to the guys at Cabelas I won't be disappointed. Up until now I have used interstate batteries with no complaint.

12. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i have used interstate for years they hold up well!:wink:

13. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Kinda pricey but I like my Optima. It's been used on my camper and now teh boat too and it's going on 9 years old. holds a charge very well and no problems with it yet ("knock on wood").

14. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Interstate all the way!! Haven't had very good luck with the (never starts)!LOL!!They just don't seem to hold up well for what we use them for.

15. bassgasm2002

bassgasm2002 New Member

State:
    sc
    3 yrs on the yellow everstart. haven't charged it yet. ever except for what the motor does. let it sit through 3 winters and fired right up 2 weeks ago. it sounds kinda primative but the more lead the better the reserve so pick it up. heavy=good

16. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I use everstarts from walmart no problems yet. In my opinion one brand is as good as the other your just paying for the sticker.

17. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I use & recommend either the Wal-Mart or Autozone Brands. My reasoning for that is, not only have they served me well but when you're in BFE, they'll probably be one or both of those suppliers should a problem arise.

That being said, it is one of the reasons why travelers like the Interstate batteries, they were one of the pioneers of the "Interstate" warranty policy.

I use to stock them in my shop (consignment) but with Walmart & AZ down the street, I lost so many sales it wasn't worth it anymore.:roll_eyes:

I will also agree, that improper maintenance is usually the culprit of early failures. BTW I'm replacing my Everstarts tomorrow after 5YRS of use....Can't Complain.

HTH, Elliot

18. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've got 3 years and still going strong on my "Junk" Everstart!:wink:

19. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Me to, never had any problems as long as you take care of anything it will treat you pretty good !:wink:

20. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I worked for an asphalt paving company and have bought many batterys for trucks and equpment and I would get a bad one once in a while till I tried Durlast batterys from Auto Zone.I've never had a problem with one so I use them in every thing I own.