Which choke do I use?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by kat buster, Aug 25, 2007.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Can any body help me pick what name brand choke and tell me what size i should use for what situation when waterfowling. Thank u

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont think any of the brands make a difference. Find one that is compatible to your model of shotgun. For long distance I like modified. But thats just what my shotgun shoots well. Hope that helps

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Mod is what you want most of the time. ( remember that don't shoot steel in a full choke) Imp cyl will work over decoys at the start of the season when they will be close. I have a Patternmaster and I love it, it is costly, but it works with duck loads and goose loads. Good luck this season:big_smile:

4. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Early season I shoot a IC and towards the end of the season I use the modified choke.

5. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I usually use a Mod. for about everything, have to if using steel shot.
    I have a ported Rhino choke in mod. that shoots as good or better than a regular full choke, it develops a shorter shot string.
    A improved modified is another way to go, just depends on what and where and what size shot you are shooting.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It is always safe to start with your Guns manufactures recommendation.Many times this is fine.At times the same exact kind of guns will shoot different with the same chokes swapped back and forth.You will have to shoot your gun with the shells that you will be using to be sure that you have a pattern that will kill at the distance that you will be shooting.Please make sure the choke says "For steel shot".I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. riverrat85

riverrat85 New Member

State:
    Ruma, Illinois
    I switched over last year to a patternmaster and i gotta say i will shoot nothing but. the pattern is alittle tight on close birds but it is great on 2nd and 3rd shots where the birds are climbing. i killed a couple of geese at close to 100 yards stone cold dead last year using this choke. at that moment i said wow it is worth the money. good luck

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia

9. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    The new Black Cloud load from Federal is suppose to be dean nice with an IMP. choke. Everything else I shoot the factor modified from Remington.

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I shoot improved only and 90% of my shooting is decoying birds. Heck, I can't hit squat out past 35 yards and would prefer to shoot em in the face at less than 20:wink: