Which catfish makes the best table fare?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mike_4843, Feb 7, 2007.

1. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    Which Cat fish taste the best and which are the worst

2. kccatman76

kccatman76 New Member

State:
    kansas
    to me mike flathead is #1

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I've heard all three as different favorites...but I can't really taste the difference the way I usually cook them. Sorry I'm not too much help, but I'm sending the back to the top aswell.

-Red

4. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    never cooked up bullhead...wonder if its any different???:roll_eyes:

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Alley or Tabby is best.... baked, LOL!!!
    Siamese are too stringy, LMAO!!!

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    HayJW,Them Pole Cats Ain't Bad Either.LOL. J.D.
    :beat_shot:

7. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like all three but flathead belly meat is the fillet mignon of catfish. I don't fish for flathead but if I catch a decent sized one it's most likely in trouble.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)

Bullheads taste as good as a channel, almost as good as a blue. I keep and cook bullheads no matter the size. Bit more bloody, at least to me, than the other cats.

9. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I eat all three catfish. Flathead tastes as great!

10. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    if you use an electric fillet knife you can cut the gills of the bullhead and put them back in water and they'll bleed out.

when I'm fishing and get ready to go in and clean fish at the ramp I always take all the fish out of the livewell so that I can bleed them ... when I get them all out and laying on the floor of my boat I do the pictures and then get my electric fillet knife out and pick each one up and insert the fillet knife under the gill plate and insert it behind the back gill and then turn the blade towards the gill and hit the button on the fillet knife and cut one or two of the gills and then put the fish back into the livewell and then get the next one and do the same ... I keep the bilge pump running so that they'll be in 0-gravity with water over them and their hearts will pump almost all the blood out of their bodies making cleaning them a lot less messy and it's easier to clean up also along with them being dead or near dead by the time I get back to the ramp. this only works if you put them back into the water ... if you cut their gills and leave them out in the air they won't bleed out. when I put them back into the livewell the water looks like pure blood for a while until the bilge freshens the water in the livewell. then I remove the fish and fillet them and bag them and throw them in the icechest ... they require a little extra cleaning when I get them home and prepare them for the freezer but without the blood it's a lot easier to clean up the fillets for the freezer.

11. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Channels & spotted bullheads are the best,to me anyway.

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I really enjoy the Flatheads but we don't have many around here, so it's Channels & Bullheads for me.

13. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    flatheads, hands down. :big_smile:

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

:lol: J.D. Haven't ever served one up myself....bad enough to have one OUTSIDE the house, like this mornin' when I took the dog out and 'bout got knocked down by the odor in the air. One of those boogers had been in my recycling bin :tounge_out: and left me a string of empty cans across the yard!

Mike, I prefer eating blues, but flatheads are a close second :smile2:.

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Flats are good, blues are to, channels are O.K. just less filling:lol: .

16. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I try to bleed out every fish I plan on eating. I have a special stainless steel rig I made. It looks like a make shift safty pin, but it is made from 1/4" stainless rod. I hook on one fish at a time, cut the gills and throw them over board, while we head back to the dock. Like you say Tiny, it elimiates a lot of mess when you go to filet them.
    I bleed all large fish. Salmon, trout, walleye, pike, and catfish.
    Sparky

17. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    From my experience 2 to 3lb blues are the best to eat. I've had a lot of people tell me my fish is better than any they've had in a fish camp. But they might be lying lol. By the way how are yall using electric fillet knives on the boat. Some kind of battery connector?

18. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I would prefer to eat small blue cats 2-4 pounds than any other catfish. Small channels 1-3 pounds are good but get a little strong unless you cut out all the red meat near the lateral line. Small yellow bullheads from fresh running rivers are excellent fried whole on the bone.

19. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You must have a damn long,waterproof extension cord if you're using an electric filleting knife in your boat!LOL Any catfish if it's cooked right works for me.
    Glenn

20. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Right on, Jim. Snow white and delicious.