Which Catfish Fight Harder...River Cats or Lake Cats

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by pabloracer4748, Sep 12, 2009.

1. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    In my opinion for what ever reason the cats I catch in lakes seem to fight harder. What do you guys think fight the hardest.

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've got to go with river fish. Maybe the current has something to do with it, but either way I enjoy the fight of a big 'un on the other end of my line. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't know if there is a difference but my guess would also be the river cats. They are definitely stronger from fighting the current.

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well never caught to many fish rod and reel on the river just limlining, caught a bunch of channel on the lake though and it seemed like in open water it took forever to get a 5lb channel in, while on the river it dont take too long, then again our river is only 3 foot deep on a good day.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have to agree with Mickey the flat head in the river here fight a lot harder than the one in the lake, or maybe I just have to pull harder to get them away from cover in the river.

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i think the only difference is current,in the river you have way more current then in a lake and it makes it feel like the fish is fighting harder.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    As for the fight they all will fight hard, but cats in a river play the current to their advantage and they probably have a little better muscle tone than lake fish.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ditto the last two post. River fish by nature of there environment, and using it to there advantage.

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    River cats (flats, channels, and blues) will always fight harder than any lake, pond, reservior, or impoundment cats. River cats have to put up with current their whole lives. It's comparing an athletic river fish to a couch potato lake fish.:cool2:

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hes stronger for swimmen all the time against current and hes got the current to use against you. I have had flats get in the fast water and use that head like a planer board and blues turn and ues it as well.

11. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
  12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I will go with the river not only cats but you hooked fight harder for the reasons that have been given

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    since i have no bog rivers and dont catch big fish anymore im going to say river but just out of sheer in experience. i had a 20-30 lb (guessing) flat up to the bank in the lake before it spit the hook at my face, and it didnt seem like much of a fight...but of course the smaller river cats ive caught werent on a 10 ft heavy action with 100 lb mono either lol..17 lb on a zebco with a 15 lber in a fast flowing river (creek in my case lol) will put upa fight boy!