Which brand to use

Discussion in 'Fishing Weighing Scales' started by Dadoftwo, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    What brand and model of a scale is the best buy for the money around $25?

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    For that price ,I would look into a manual spring loaded scale. It just depends on what you are fishing for as far as size is concerned.

If you are after the big boys, I would strongly reccomend digging a bit deeper and paying for one of the 2 Coffey Marketing digital scales. The 220 lb scale runs about $75 and the 120 pound scale is about $65. And thats without the B.O.C. membership discount.

Ive tried the cheaper digital scales, and they just dont hold up and last as long.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There's no question that you're gonna get what you pay for, assuming you can pay for it. A good digital scale will give you an accurate reading down to the ounce (or 10th of a pound), while a cheap scale that will weigh 100# or more will not be as accurate, and may only give you a reading in 2# increments. That means you're going to have to be sharp-eyed just to get a reading within the nearest 1/2#. But, as I said, you have to be able to pay for it. If buying a cheap scale is a stretch for you, then a digital is out of the question. It very well may come down to a decision like, do I get a cheap scale and a new reel, or just a digital scale? Like Wolfman, I think it also has a lot to do with how many big cats you catch. It's a rare occasion when I can't weigh a cat on my 50# scale, so I probably wouldn't plop for a digital; but if I averaged catching several cats a month over 50# I'd definitely find some way to get one.

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't know Barry but a Coffey scale is on my wish list.

I bought the cheap digital scale that goes to only 50 lb.

But then of course caught a few fish over 50 so then I got a cheap spring scale that goes to 100 lb.

Guess what, now I have 2 cheap scales, although they checked out to be accurate. I still could have almost had the Coffey scale for what I paid for the two cheapies.

Buy the best scale you can afford then you are done.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a cheap spring scale with a dial from BPS that goes to 50#. Had it about a year and seems to work just fine. Cost $5.99 I must have got one the good batch.

6. JustinW

JustinW New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'll have to pick one of those up!

7. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have had several different scales, but just got a set of the "coffee" scales and havent used them yet. If money was an object, I would get some from BPS. I also keep a tape measure in my box to get a length and girth.:wink:

8. catkwik

catkwik New Member

State:
    texas
    If I get one bigger than my scale can handle, I just weigh it twice and add them together.

9. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Everyone knows that's cheatin'....

Ya gotta weigh them once by the head and then by from the tail... that way you get the weight from the front half and the weight from the back half.. .add those together, and you're good to go!
    :wink:

10. catkwik

catkwik New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for correcting me, Jerry. I get those mixed up. Sure would hate to be caught cheating.

11. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    "COFFEY SCALE" Its that simple.:cool2:

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    what he said.works for me and money is always a problem with me.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Heres a link that I had bookmarked. Hope this helps.

LINK DELETED BY PAUL TO KEEP DAVE FROM RESEARCH... :disdain:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2011
  14. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks for all the posts. I guess I should make a decision and stick with it.