The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have a 14 foot semi v aluminum boat. This has served me well for a couple years. I bought a smaller boat due to the fact that I had no experience with boating and thought the smaller and cheaper would be better to learn on. Not sure if my theory was correct or not. I haven’t killed myself or anyone else so far and have learned quite a bit over the last couple of years. I’m starting to look at getting a bigger boat because I want something more stable and comfortable. I fish mainly lakes and I’m here in Kansas so it gets windy. I know it’s probably preference but should I get a bigger Jon boat style of boat or a deep v type of boat? Which would you suggest? Thanks for any and all opinions and this boat will be used for catfishing 99% of the time.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,110 Posts
If you are not navigating shallow water (2ft or less) I would go with a deep-v for comfort. The ride is so much better on a big wind chop that it isn't even comparable. Stability is good on a lot of the larger boats with a good deadrise hull. The jon type boats are roomy but rattle your teeth in a chop.

·
Registered
272 Posts
We fish out of a Targa, a Gambler Pro Bass and my new Alumacraft tunnel hull most of the time. The deep v is loads better with chop on big water. The tunnel hull is better at everything else. The bass boat will do everything just fine and get you there a whole lot faster.

I don't do much big water. Most of my time is on small to medium rivers. So I went the all weld super shallow bay boat style. It's been great on the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. Can't wait to get the thing in the salt. Big reds on grass flats are an amazing way to spend a day...

Peace,
Chad

·
Registered
749 Posts
I’m a Kansas guy. I’ve had deep v’s and flat bottoms. Our lakes can get some pretty good rollers. I’ve fished deep and skinny water but tend to have most success drift fishing. I’d get a deep v for the ride and safety and put a hydraulic jack plate on it if you want to run it more shallow.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
1,903 Posts
If you can, keep the small boat and get a 16 plus vhull. Got a 1650 chill. At times wish still had my flat bottom bass boat for shallow river use.

Had white caps on Missouri this week. Still had spray coming around in 35 mph wind. But got threw it to ramp.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
733 Posts
First thing i learned in my search for a new to me boat.

There is no such thing as the perfect boat. It seemed i always had to give up something i wanted. Or get something i didnt want.

So i made a list of the things i wanted. Then i went and looked at a bunch of different manufactures. I ended up with three different brand / model of boats. I then went on the search to find a used one. Took months.

I would rather my boat have a 10/15 degree deadrise. I think it would make it perfect for "me" and what i use it for. Youll just have to see if you can get the hull you want and the other features at the same time.

With all the wind in Kansas i would say the V hull would be prefered.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got a tritoon with a 150 and must say I wasn't to excited when I got it but the wife liked it , now I'm glad I got it room for everything imaginable rod holders everwhere and takes rough water good once u learn to drive it. Had a 18 ft deep v and dont think I'd go back now

·
Registered
Aaron......Indiana
49 Posts
I’ll second Thunder Head and prlwng. There is no perfect boat for all situations, and if possible, keep your 14. I bought a Tracker ProV 175 deep v 2 years ago and it is absolutely great for the Ohio River and for a large reservoir nearby that can get rough in wind.

The problem is, I also live close to smaller lakes that offer good panfishing, but the Tracker is too big and cumbersome for the small shallow ramps. I picked up a 14 foot John boat with trailer for $200. It need a whole lot of work, but when I’m finished it will be perfect for the small lakes and the feeder creeks that lead into the Ohio around where I live.

Best of both worlds without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I also fished out of a Targa V18 for some years. Roomy and handled big water great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts