Which boat should i buy?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by whiskerchaser, Jul 30, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    ok guys i have been looking for a really cheap boat and cant seem to find one under $300 so i decided i guess i would try out one of those inflatable boats. Or is a canoe or kayak better i will be fishing a really big lake it really isnt to windy its usually real calm and at the most a calm lil breeze so which one a inflatable boat like a raft or a kayak or canoe how big I will be fishing my self if I use a canoe or kayak and if i go with the raft i will be fishing with my mom and my moms boyfriend help me out guys thanks a lot. O i will be catfishing and ba$$ fishing.

2. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I only have kayak right now and it is really good for bream and crappie fishing never tried it for catfishing. I have owned an inflatable boat and they are just not for me. I like the kayak much better. But in the long run you might be better just bank fishing right now and save that money for a john boat. hope this helps
    stephen

3. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I would bank fish, and save my money for a good jon boat also. JMO , good luck, Jack.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree, and then you can get a trolling motor on the back of it if you want to. Between a Canoe and Kayak though, I would chose a Canoe, I use a canoe for very small river fishing but would never use it on a decent size lake for fishing.

5. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have a 12' Pelican for sale on this site in the Mebers sale section..check it out, there are pics also..........

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    James. I don't think you can expect much of a boat for 3 hundred dollars. I wish you luck but be sure you get something safe.
    Maybe you and a friend could buy a boat together. If your not in a hurry keep looking, you never know.

7. swampthang_matt

swampthang_matt New Member

State:
    georgia
    my dad and i have a 15' boat that we fish out of and we do a good job

8. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    im gonna bank fish and save up but ill check out the 12' pelican.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    As for myself, I fish from a 13.8' Old Town Loon kayak. Its what's called a sit inside. I'm almost exclusively a catfisherman these days, and its a great boat for that. I've had flatbottoms, a semi-vee runabout, and a canoe, but the kayak is the way to go for inexpensive floatation. No gas, no problem launching most anywhere you can get to the water. Mine's set up with a depthfinder and four rod holders. I usually fish with three in the water. The kayak cost me $300 used. In the last two weeks, I've boated 50 channel cats, so I'm sold.