Which Boat Do I Buy? HELP!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by BassCat1, Jul 26, 2006.

1. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Good Day Brothers & Sisters - I've got $5,000 to spend on a used aluminum boat. I know I want it pretty much loaded (fishing chairs, battery, depth/fish finder, charger, side console, trolling motor, etc.), I want at least 16' or 17' and in relatively good condition. Don't want a boat that needs a lot of investment. Also want the V-Hull design.

I want your opinions on a Brand of boat and reasons why I should buy it. I really appreciate any help I can get! Pro's & Con's welcome!

Thanks Very Much! Mark

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Which boat you buy is completly up to you. I do say check each boat out real good for spilt battery acid in the battery comparments leaky fuel tanks livewells etc. look it over for dings dents and repairs same as on the trailer. If possible see if you and the owner can go out and run it on the lake. there are a lot of things involved with buying a boat take a compression check on the motor if they wont let you then chances are they know something is wrong with it. inspect the lighting etc. This is one reason I always buy new and not used. I do not like having to deal with everything I have to check out unless I know the person well and how they take care of things then I will buy used. There are a lot more things that can be added but I will leave them for others to post. As far as brand of boat that is a personal choice too. There is good and bad in every brand I do however recomend for a aluminum boat to buy welded not rivited.

3. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Mutt has some good advice in his post. $5,000 is a lot of money but it really does not buy much in the boating world. Seems like you are looking for more of a lake boat rather than a river boat. Lake boats are more expensive compared to a good river jon boat can be had for less than $5k.

I would check out any boat you look at as Mutt described. The engine systems seem to be the most expensive to fix. I would also suggest you spend you money on a simple boat that is in very good condition then add the stuff you want. If you try to buy a loaded boat for $5,000 then you are likely to get a boat that has some problems.

Always remember, the two happiest days in a boat owner's life is the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    i would find a good solid boat , trailer, and engine with some of the things you want. Have you fished out of boats very much? This is a good way to find out what you like and don't like.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    www.boattraderonline.com is the best place to start. I found my boat there. They have a good selection of used boats from anywhere in the country. Be prepared to compromise somewhere, because $5,000 will limit what you can get. You need to be willing to give up size, comfort, or horsepower, and that is ok.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If $5k is really your maximum budget, I'd recommend looking for something that costs about $4k and save that last $1000 to outfit it the way you want -- no used boat (or new, for that matter) will be set up the way you want it, and you'll spend a lot of money getting things the way you want them. But if you blow your wad on the boat, there's nothing left to buy the little things.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If you can wait,you normaly can buy cheaper.Winter boats are hard to sell.It is a buyers market.As for rivets,The two sturdiest boats that I have ever owned are riveted.They are a 16 foot Fisher Marine modified V and a old 17 foot Grumman White Water canoe that was made to collide with boulders at whitewater speeds.Both are now about 4 inches shorter due to head on collisions with STONE.The rivets held.Would a weld? Just think about all of those Jet planes that are still being riveted.Now if welds are always stronger and better as many believe,why are the aircraft manufactures world wide still putting their planes together with rivets?If I would only ride in a welded boat because I thought it was better,I surly would not ride in a riveted plane.AS a former welder I learned that each has its place.They often overlap. peewee-williams