Which bank do you fish from?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by jsthumb, Nov 8, 2007.

1. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    This is for the SC bank fishing people so lets hear some comments back on this one.
    You dont have to give specifics, unless you want to, but I was just wondering what bodys of water and general area where people are bank fishing from and how they are doing this time of year?
    I for one have been fishing mostly along the saluda river (only because it is only a 5-10 minute drive for me) below the dam in easley or in the lake itself and I have found it to have died down a good bit over the last month.
    I am thinking of trying some camping either at keowee or dreher island in the next week or so before it gets really cold, so if you have any reports from those areas then tell me about it.
    I guess I will spend majority of the next couple of months scouting for spring holes and getting equipment cleaned and respool some reels and tying some new leaders. Thats not to say I am giving up but just going to cut back for a while till warmer weather hits. How about you?

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Between the low water and the cold moving in I haven't found any fish yet. I'm gonna be out and about myself this weekend looking around. If I find something decent I'll be glad to let you know. -Jim-

3. SaludaCat

SaludaCat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was on the saluda in piedmont today. needless to say i didn't get anything more than a few visits from some bait theives. but i have the rest of this week i will be alternating between there and the pelzer area. i will keep you posted on how it goes.

4. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Thanks for the report. How deep is the water out there ?

I wish I had good news for ya but I got skunked in the Clemson area also. We also tried the hot hole on Keowee Sunday for a few hours but nothing there at the time either.

I'm gonna be out with Pat and Pop Pop today and then on Saturday a friend is taking me striper fishing with a guide. I've never caught one so this will be exciting. It's actually my 40th b-day present ( 11/26 ). With all this going on I prolly wont be pounding the shore much this week. I need to spent some time with the wife/kids.

Good luck out there and I hope you nail a giant one. Let me know how ya do. As I said before when I find them I will let ya know for sure. At least between us we are covering some water.......

g'luck and thanks for the report
    -Jim-

5. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Caught a nice blue up at the Martin Creek landing on Hartwell a week or two ago. I estimated the water depth to be around twenty feet deep where I was. I also heard of a couple nice cats being caught up at the Seneca River landing. Haven't done any bank fishing on Keowee lately, only crappie fishing from a boat.

Where do you bank fish on Saluda lake? Also, do you fish directly behind the dam at Saluda? That is about a ten minute ride from my house.

There is a small lake or pond off of Hwy 11 that a friend of a friend discovered on game management land but so far has been able to keep it secret. It is apparantly loaded with huge cats. Now, if I can come up with an offer so good he can no longer hold his tongue. :roll_eyes:

6. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    As far as Saluda goes I've only fished at the dam on Saluda Dam Road. I usually catch bait at the dam and then walk the river from there. Its hard to find any holes around there but I have caught cats out of it. I prolly will hit Keowee here and there but I'm mainly on Hartwell.

7. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Jimmy, how did you, Pat, and Pop Pop do? Did ya'll lay the smack down? :smile2:

8. SaludaCat

SaludaCat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    well i've been twice this week and caught two < 1lbs blue gill but no cat luck as far as depth i would have to say about 15' +/- 5' in spots. i am going to try 1 more time on friday. will let you know.:confused2:

9. SaludaCat

SaludaCat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't fish on the saluda lake. and as for the dam no i usally fish 100-150yds down river. i have always heard that it is there where alot of sediment and item that cats might eat settle more, so i've always favored that area.
    it is true to say i havent been at this long, but i have seen my brother go out and be very sucessful in those same areas.

10. JimmyJonny

State:
    sc
    Cleon

We had a good day, got 6 all together. They were from #5 to #10 ranges. Tons of bites but they just didn't do there part, LOL. To say in the least it was exciting. Thank's for askin ; ) Oh and congrats on your blue the other day..was he a good size ?

-Jim-

Got some cold coming in boys. Better get out there tomorrow....I am ; )

11. SaludaCatFisher

SaludaCatFisher New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think we should get a group together and try fishing various locations on the Saluda. I live off Old River Rd, and I've caught some nice cats near the Hwy 20 / Piedmont Hwy bridge. I have also caught a lot of good cats and bass, with a few crappie at the old hydro station ( just watch out for the moccasins in the summer). I had an older fellow tell me one time to use feeder mice and cut there bellys, and then fish them on the bottom on the river, just curious but has anyone ever heard of this or tried it? I'll be out on the river bright and early tommorrow trying my luck.