Which baitcaster

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fisherman94580, Apr 12, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ok, I've been looking around at baitcasters lately and wanted to get one to mount on a m/h quantum big cat rod that's never been used. I'm looking at a penn 209, and a penn 220 gto. Which of those would be better? And also, I was looking at a reel off of proanglertackle.com and it looks pretty nice, It'll be for fishing mainly in rivers so I need a durable reel, that will hold up. Here's the link to proanglertackle. And Thanks

http://www.proanglertackle.com/CatfishReel.htm

2. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The Penn 209 is built like a tank and should serve forever. They are not tough to work on and you will like maintaining your own gear. I also have an ABU 6500 C4 that I am very partial to. Again I do my own repairs and maintenance on the ABU. I would suggest an older red sided 209 and then put in Smoothie Drag washers and polish the steel drag washers. A real joy to use.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Unless you have grown proficiant with a baitcaster, I wouldn't recomend getting a 209 or a 309. If you want to stick with a peen reel, get a 320gti or gto, they are much more user friendly than the others. I don't normally recomend any penn reel to anyone but those are the better casting ones that i have tried.

4. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    John, I knew I was converting you. I always knew you like Penn reels over the Abu's. :smile2:

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I was just telling him that if he wanted to stick with Penns, he needed to get the Better of two evils, LOL!!!

I will never switch to Penns, Buddy you can count on that!!! Look in the swapshop, I have two 209's up for trade!!!!

6. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I agree about the red sided 209, I have one older 209 (20.00 flea market find), and 2 new black sided 209. The red one is a much better reel, IMHO, although all cast well.

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I love Penn's!

5 320GT2's!!! Solid built reels.

Their smaller offerings are lacking to me though. So I plan on getting a couple 6500 Abu's to round out my gear.

8. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Man, I was hoping to get those from ya. Do I not have anything you want?

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Aaron I have a 209 Penn that I've been using for over 35 years and I still use it more than the newer reels I have.A Penn 209 holds up so well you can hand it down to your grandkids many years from now and it will still be in good working order.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I really like my 6500 for its light weight, smooth casting, and general ability to pull in smaller fish. But I've been pretty disappointed in it since it wouldn't pull a 10# bluecat up to the boat, fishing below WDM powerhouse. I had the fish sliding along on top of the water, had the drag cranked all the way down, and still, every time I pulled, all I did was spool line off the reel. I guess the fact that it won't hold enough heavy line to make a very long cast was a clue I should have picked up on, huh? IMO, the 6500 has no place bank fishing where there's a current, and is definitely the wrong reel to use if you're after the big boys in the snags.

11. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Aaron I have a 209 Penn that I use almost every time out that is almost 20 years old, I also have many different reels to test rods on including 6000's and 7000''s the only reel so far that will come close to casting with it is the 7000 and the Pflueger Contender, it passes them all but the jury is still out as far as how long it will last. The thing about a 209 Penn is that they are a winch and if you clean them once in a while and put new line they just seem to work forever.

12. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Pesonally I would go with the Proangler reel. It looks like a 6500 frame with some better guts in it. If not for the fact that we have the luxury off buying ABUs cheep I would try the Proangler reels myself. It all comes down to how you fish and personal preference from there.

13. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    One of my 209's was given to me in 1960 (Used). All I have done is added grease and replaced the pawl.

I enjoy the 6500's (I have 3 6501's) because of their weight.