Which baitcaster do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Jazper, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I am wanting to get a baitcaster. I have used one in the past one time and it looked bad after I tried to throw it out so my buddy got a new pole and real. i would like to try it again. I was wanting to know from some "experts" which one I should get that isn't going to hurt too bad in the pocket if I 1. can't use it or 2. Dont want it or like it. Basically what should I start with.
    Thanks

2. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Its going to depend on how much you can spend brother?

3. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Well, Im willing to spend up to 100 i suppose, I would hate to get one that price and hate the thing. So cheaper would be nice.

4. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Keep an eye out on the auction sites, hit local pawn shops, flea markets and yard sales and get something used if your afraid your not going to like it.

I'd say get a Penn 9M (@$50), and take your time to learn how to use it well. It won't cast as far as a well tuned Abu, but you will learn the critical fundamentals of using a baitcast reel like when to power in the cast, and the critical thumb.
    The 9M is much over looked power house of a reel.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The ABU Garcia 7000 ic3 (or whatever, would have to look at mine) is an awesome reel. I finally bought one based on advice from others. They are heavy enough for Big River fishing and hold plenty of line. I also use the ABU GARCIA 6600c3's and they are fine and good reels but a big fish in current will put a hurt on them and the clicker is a bit cheesy I think. $89.00 or so for the 6600, $129.00 for the 7000.

Buy one GOOD REEL ONCE!

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Lots of good ones to choose from under 100 dollars. Main thing is no matter what kind is to just pratice with it and adjust the brake fairly tight so it doesnt back lash. As you get better with it you can loosen the brake and be able to cast it farther. Put some fairly big line on it 40# and it will help with back lash and if it does you can get them out easier. You will wonder why you hadnt been useing them all along once you get use to them.

I like the abu 7000c3I but it's a bit more.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hmmm, Know anyone that might be willing to let you borrow one for the season?

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I had the same thoughts when I purchased my first bait caster. It was maybe about 3 months now. It sat in my truck in a plastic bag until just recently. I paid $40 its a Abu AMB Black Max maybe you can try that one. I just recently started practicing with it. I still fear the darn thing but not as much so maybe you should look into that one. Its chrome with black sides to it kinda looks like that red one they talk about but instead of it been red on the sides its black.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would suggest the 7000c3i. It is a lifetime investiment that will pay great dividens.It will get the job done. Large or small fish. As already mentioned, it's important to learn your reel. Practice, Practice. If you have a problem then ask someone. I own several and have never looked any other way.

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Jeremy, your more than welcome to practice with any of my ABU's. The easiest of them to learn on is the little 5000, in fact I bet I can have you casting it in under 30 minutes. As for what to buy, I have casted several models of Penns, ABUs, tidewaters, and those big Rhinos that Lou has. I have found the ABUs to be the easiest to cast. Whatever brand you decide on I wouldn't get anything smaller in size than the ABU 6000/6500 series.

Crucial, I recently got the chance to cast a Penn 9M and an old Penn Surfmaster and I must say I was impressed by both of them. I know both reels are capable of more than my old thumb could get out of them without alot more practice.

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    id go with an abu 6000 from wally world. keep the reciept and if you decide you dont want it you can take it back. you can pick one up for around 65-70 bucks. just dont get discouraged the first time a backlash comes around. just keep trying and youl get the hang of it.

12. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Well there you,
    no advice here, and no single reel would ever improve upon some good ole' hand's on instruction. That's a great offer Griz.

The small levelwind Penn's have been around longer than most of us have and still going strong. They aren't pretty and don't have a lot of new "technology" built into them, but that's why they are so reliable and a great reel to learn on. No "training wheels", taking you back to the basic's, and forcing you to improve on the fundamentals.
    If you get "good" with a 9M you can cast almost anything out there.

13. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Well there you Jeremy,
    no advice here, and no single reel would ever improve upon some good ole' hand's on instruction from someone who know's wha they are doing. That's a great offer Griz.

The small levelwind Penn's are great reel's. They aren't pretty, and don't have a lot of new "technology" built into them, but that's why they are so great to learn on. No "training wheels", taking you back to the basic's, and forcing you to improve on the fundamentals.
    If you get "good" with a 9M you can cast almost anything out there.

They can produce a lot more distance than I'm capable of too :big_smile:

14. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I would appreciate that. I will trust your judgement on which to start with.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a good post and good advise griz.

16. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Jeremy,
    Id have to recommend either a Garcia or Penn reel. The Garcia 6000 and the Penn 209's are great reels and can be bought for around $60.00
    But, if your looking for a cheap baitcaster thats good, just to see if your gonna like it, Id have to recommend the Bass Pro Shops Mega cast baitcaster. Its very similar to the Garcia 6000 for about half the price. These reels go for about $29.99 at BPS. Ive never used them but know several who do and they swear by them. But if theres a chance you may not like a baitcaster, Id hate to see you invest alot of money and not use it. Just something for you to think about. rspd507

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    There are several out there that get the job done, I like the Abu Garcia 7000 Big Game baitcaster best of the ones that I own.

18. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Just get your self a 209 Penn learn how to use it and go fishing.I have a 209 I've been fishing with 35+ years and it's still the best real I ever had.

19. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd go with the Abu Garcia 6000 or 6500. Those are the easiest to learn to throw and will last a lifetime. You can pick a 6000 up for about 35 to 40 bucks on ebay. The only difference in the two besides color is the 6000 has spool bushings, and the 6500 has spool bearings. If you're fishing in sandy areas, I'd go with the 6000 as the bushings will last against the grit better than the bearings.

20. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH

Bushings?? or Bearings?? honestly I have no clue.. anyone???