Which bait to use on trotline??

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by DICK151, Jun 3, 2008.

1. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am setting some limb lines and a couple trotlines out this weekend and would appreciate any suggestions on the best trotline bait for channels and flats in a small creek. And how deep to set it at (creek is no more than 3-10 feet deep where I intend on setting up, but gets much deeper DOWN-creek where it runs into a man-made lake).Haven't set any trots out since before grampa passed in 2004, and we used "stew beef" and went for turtle. Those were GOOD times!!! Thanks in advance!!

2. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    blue gills or any kind of perch you can get. they will stay alive longer and your not as apt to get your bait cleaned by little ones. may not catch as many fish but they will usually be bigger fish. set a good tight line with your bait six to eight inches off bottom. do this by making your weight lines that hold your trot line down six to eight inches longer than your drops. be sure to tie your line to a good limber limb on each end. hope this helped and good luck.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I prefer live bait but use cut shad too.

4. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for your reply, but does it matter the size of bluegill, as the creek really doesn't yield "huge" fish. (The largest I've caught here is 30 lb in 8 years.)

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    A 5 pound flathead can eat a big perch. I like them 3 or 4 inches long. Ya ought to be able to get some worms and catch all the bait ya want.

6. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There isn't any perch in this creek, I think I have caught MAYBE 4-5 since I was little! I usually fish with 4-5 inch creek chubs but they are "breaking" me, as they are close to 7.00 dollars a dozen from tackle store. So bluegill are probably my most bountifully supplied baitfish on hand.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Chubs are good bait too. Also, welcome to the BOC jesse.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sorry I cant help you I usually fish with a rod and reel, but I know some people that uses limb lines, and trot lines if i was you I would use chubs, and also blue gill heads are great flattie bait.

9. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks john, looks like I need to find a partner to run a seine with me because the hole right past the shallows isn't deep enough to throw a net into!!
    BTW, this site is GREAT!!

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Can ya put a bait trap in it like wal-mart sells and catch any of those chubs i wonder? I catch alot of emerald shiners in them around the creeks here.

11. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dunno, the one I got is just big enough for crappie minnows but I'll look and see what they got next time I head to town. Good Idea, completely overlooked that concept!

12. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What would I bait the minnow trap with that would stay in em, ya think?? The current is pretty swift where they gather and I don't really have time to catch them one by one on ultra light gear with beemoths!

13. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Usually minnow traps are baited with bread but I like dog food.

I've run a minnow seign by myself most of the time.
    Just add a couple of broomsticks to the ends and roll it up so its as wide as your arms will reach Drag the bottom and you'll catch crawdads also.
    best of luck
    just

BTW welcome to the BOC Dick

14. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOTS of rain this week so far. Always had better luck with high water, but should I stick with the same bait if the water is flooded a bit?? (This gives me a chance to set some closer to the campsite though because there won't be any campers out this weekend due to high waters!!):cross:

15. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    Crawdads, worms, beef liver, cut bluegill, creek chubs, hotdogs, soap baits [Zote, Ivory and Rednecks] all work great. You just have to use what you can find or afford. Mixing it up sometimes gets you a few more fish if they aren't hitting on one bait or another. Get creative. :wink:

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cut carp, cut perch, live perch and live bullheads. even a small flattie can eat big baits. i love seeing a branch shake with a fish on it! good luck to you, and welcome to the boc from amarillo, texas!

might try an umbrella net for those 2-3 foot spots, they can be real effective...

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would set my trot-lines deep with cut bait and I would set my limb lines shallow with live baits....just deep enough to keep them in the water. Good Luck:big_smile:

18. inahurry23

inahurry23 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    we have been using black salties for bait on our trot lines and throw lines. they are a carp and they are really tough. they stay alive well in warm water and the fish love them. :big_smile:

19. DICK151

DICK151 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well....It's STILL raining!!! But I'm a die hard and mother nature can't stop me from catfishing! Even if the water is too high to catch any fish, I'm still going to try.(It still beats sittin' at home on my only day off!!)

20. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    For Flatheads I like to find the bream beds or log jams and set my lines on the outside of them. Bull heads are hard to beat. They can live several days hooked through the back. Big flatties don't necessarily feed every night. It could take 2 or 3 days to catch em. Bream are good to but they don't live quite as long. Shiners or creek chubs excellent as well. If you are after channel cats its hard to beat Catalba worms if you can find them, only bait with Catalba worms at dark cause the other fish will pick them clean. Live minnows will work for both species, Just need to experiment for a while and see what works best in your area. Good Luck!!!