Which Bait Caster to buy?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by miichael, Aug 11, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I currently dont own any bait casters but i was wanting to buy me 2 bait casters from walmart but i need some info on them. I want a abu garcia with the clicker so i will have to get a 6000 series or larger. I want one that will hold 25lb line. Will the 6000 model be OK? or should i get the 6500? whats the difference? The 6000 with bait clicker is $59.99.

Also i was going to get a big game Berkly rod 7ft med/heavy 1-4oz weight 15-30lb line. Would this be a good setup? I know people say get ugly stick but i cant find a ugly stick that's medium/heavy. There are all like 7 foot light action that are way too flimsy for me. i like a stiff rod since i fish with 2-5oz of weight and blue gills 4-6 inches long. The Berkly rods look good and are only $19.99. Figured i would buy 2 of the abu 6000 and 2 of the 7ft big game rods.

2. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    I have both reels and I like the 6000 better than my 6500 but the 6000 is a newer reel. I know the 6500 has more bearings but other than that I don't know what the difference is between the reels. I think you would be happy with either reel.

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    So the 6000 holds the same line as the 6500 just 6500 has more bearings?

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I have an abu 6000 and a 6600. all of the 6000 series are the same size and hold the same amount of line for the most part. The 6500 has bearings, and the 6000 has bushings. There is nothing wrong with the 6000 though. I use mine all the time. I'd try to find a catfish ugly stik somewhere. They are white and have a little catfish on them. They are slightly different than the plain ole ugly stik.

I have a berkley big game rod and it is jsut ok in my opinion. I don't think the tip is made very well and I am waiting for it to break. I'm also not a big fan of the handle on it.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Abu 6500c3 and ugly stick Tiger M/H is what I would recomend. I think that would be a combo you'll be real happy with Super tough also. Now you Will have order the Ugly from Bass Pro or maybe catfish connection and they run $55.00 dollars I belive. So The combo will run around $135.00 dollars or so but it should last a life time. Its sorta like buying Tools you get what you pay for! JMHO Good Luck Brother Your Frind J.D.Straka :big_smile:

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Well said...I'd look to put a little more money than you would for the big game rod. In that case you'll get what you pay for.

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    The 6000 or 6500 would be fine, in my opinion. But as for a rod, i woudl not go with the berkley big game. I had a buddy snap his on a nice fish a couple weeks ago. I would go with an Ugly Stik Tiger or an Ugly Stik Catfish. The Catfish has a very soft tip but incredibly, ugly stikish, strong backbone. So you can detect any bite, but also have the power to bring them in.

8. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A friend of mine has 2 abu garcia 6500 on 2 10 foot rods with 2 bank stands for bait casters that he used carp fishing he said he would sell for $100 for all. This guy is rough on stuff so i dont know how well abu's hold up and how hard parts are to find but would this be a good deal? The rods look cheap but there heavy action. stands are homemade but looks like they would work great. The reels look ok but dont know how old they are.

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    first off make sure you get the new and improved '06' model which ever you get. you can get the '05' 6500c3 at wall mart for around $50 and catfish connetion 4 $57 on close out but i would spend the money on the '06'. the new models would be better if your going after the bigger fish, better drag and gears. but it sounds like your after the biger fish so i would get a '06' 7000c3 for the few extra dollers and get a ugly stick tiger in what ever action u like, u will never be out matched with this set up you should be able to get both at wall mart

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the 6000 and the ugly cats make a pretty well matched combo. they are only $8 more than the big game, and they have a warranty. Id try a braid for more line cap.

11. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I have the 6000 and the 6500 models and I like the 6000 just a must as the 6500. If I were going to buy another reel it would be to 6000 just to save a few bucks.

12. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    hay michael, if money is tight like it is for most of us you should buy 1 GOOD setup instead of settling for two cheaper rigs. my sidekick uses the ugly cat poles and throws up to 5oz lead and 6" gills and has pulled a 32# flat outta thick brush. 6000 is a fine reel but i think a 2006 6500 c3 will last longer. i personally don't like the big game poles as they are a cheap version of the reflex poles they used to make.

13. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

Kentucky_Cat_Hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a 6600D5 on a 9' Catmaxx MH from bass pro ($50 for the rod) and it has served me well. I wouldn't skimp on the rod just as much as I wouldn't skimp on the reel.

14. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I have a 6000 and a tidewater 20L, both on Shakespear tiger rods, 6 1/2 ft... They both will do what you want.. I like the tidewater because it's bigger and has a single lever on it.. the price was better too.. But my next one will be a Penn.. Tried one at bass pro and they're nice... jmo

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Like And Own Both The 6000 And The 6500 I Learned To Cast A Baitcaster On The 6000. If Your Going After Monsters I'd Get The 6500 But If Your Not I'd Get The 6000. I Also Wouldn't Get The Big Game Rod, I'd Get The Catfish Ugly Stik. I Have My 6000 On A Catfish Ugly And Like The Combo. Good.