Which Anchor?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Blue Bruiser, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey guys. I am purchasing a boat this weekend, and I need some advice........ I will be fishing the Missouri and Mississippi rivers. Which type of anchor would be best and how much weight?

Here is the boat I will be fishing.

Attached Files:

2. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    A rickter is a good on for rivers and hight current. I had on once for 2 yrs befor it was stuck for good. i thank they got a 17 and a 25 pound. use a chain too with a good rope.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
  4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Get Chene anchor. They work very good and are very easy to get back. Hard to lose it. Use a 4 to five ft section of chain to help get it to hook up. Chene anchors are the ones with the fins that dig in and when you want to pull of just pull in the anchor rope and drive forward. It will pop out on its own. When the anchor comes lose just put motor in neutral until the anchor is pulled in. Helps keep rope out of prop.

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A RICTER WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I recognize that boat!!! I'm glad somebody's buying it to put it to good use. I've been watching it on craigs list just waiting on somebody to jump on that deal. It'll make an awesome big river catfishing boat. Congrats and be sure to let us know how it runs. Ought to haul with that motor.

As far as the anchor goes, I've seen a lot of good stuff posted about the homemade one shown above.

7. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Yeah I have been out of town working and luckily the guy who owns it aggreed to hold it for me...... Figures as soon as I get back the weather won't allow me to go pick it up....... Going to pick up saturday morning. I am looking forward to it.

8. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    So nobody try and slide in on my boat..... LOL

9. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    im not sure how big that boat is from the pic but i have 20' deep v that is a heavy boat. i used to use a chene anchor but the darn thing would NOT hold worth a darn when i tried to anchor in the dam face or fast moving water. I switched to a 25 lb richter and have had no problems since. i doubt i would ever go to any other kind after using the richter. they are a little pricey (60-80 bucks) but being able to ahchor where i want to WHEN i want to is priceless!!!:wink:

10. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I agree on the richtor anchor. It's the only anchor I've found so far that actually works for me. I fish the Mississippi and the Missouri also. I tried the chene anchor, and I couldn't ever get the thing to dig in. You could just feel the spikes bouncing along the bottom. I use the richtor every where except below the dam. I already lost to many anchors down there. And the richtor's a little pricey to be leaving on the bottom of the river. So I always swap the richtor for a cheap walmart river anchor when fishing below the dam.

11. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    a 15-20lb ricter will work good.

12. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If your handy and have some metal working tools check out the library. Lots of good info there.