Which anchor I use it for river??

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by F150Catfish, Jan 26, 2007.

1. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I wonder which best anchor for river?? My boat is Guide V 14feet.. I have mushroom and navy anchor.. Thank you.

2. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I use a grappling type anchor. It has about 8 tines that in theory would bend if you got hung up and pulled on it with the boat motor. Use a lot of line!!

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I prefer something I can afford to lose...an old, worn out disc brake rotor makes an excellent anchor.

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i just made one. 2.5 lb coffee can filled with quickrete.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    The anchors with the spikes on them seem to work awesome in the river, although we usually use the mushroom type anchors but with the little cuts in them instead of fully round.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I use a trifluke and now it works pretty well.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I use whats called a river anchor. Holds very well in a swift movein tidal river. I use the larger one wich weighs 20lbs.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I made my own and have not seen an anchor on the market that can beat it. It's made out of 1 1/2" pipe and then I welded a 2 foot chain to one end and on the other end i welded 4 flat hot roll pieces about 18" long. It's a grapling hook style but no matter what speed the missouri river is trucking it holds as soon as it hits. I don't know how much the anchor weighs but it's real light.

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    for a muddy bottom try a 25 pound weight from WalMart. They suck down on soft bottoms like a stingray and will keep you steady even in wind if you use 2 and anchor with the bow into the wind. Pretty cheap too just in case you lose your anchor. With rocks and river current I use a trifluted 20 pound anchor.

10. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    Im in the same boat. I need a good anchor also.

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    40 lb tri-flute anchor on My boat....glad i don't have to pull it back up....LOL

This is one of the few anchors that will hold My 20'er ANYWHERE on the missouri

12. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have a 14' semi-V starcraft and I use a 15 pound navy anchor, I can hold just about anywhere in the Ohio in less than 50 feet of water with a 100 foot rope. I had trouble hooking up one time in 50 feet depths and it was smooth sand bottom and a raging current. Vern

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    What do you do, Brad? Cut the anchor rode when you get ready to go? Must get pretty expensive...:lol:
    Just kidding. I have one of those anchor retrieval balls, courtesy of Roundhill, and it works really good for my anchor when I need it.

14. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il

thats one heavy anchor...

since the wabash is absolutly filled with snags and youd lose one at least every 5 times, my dad would cut the top few inchs down to the top of the handle on a milk jug and fill it with concrete and put wire all in the jug and a few wires through the handle and when it dried put the rope through the handle and tie it. worked pretty good and its dirt cheap. but since he doesnt have his boat anymore i really dont have to worry about anchors.:big_smile:

15. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
  16. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
  17. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    LOL 40lb??? That's heavy anchor but it's sound good enough to stay in river! LOL

18. jnjmeyer

jnjmeyer New Member

State:
    Richmond Heights Mo
    In my opinion the one of the best anchors to hold on rivers is the Chene anchor. They cost about 20 buck or so. There are three of my neighbors that have pontoons on the Mississippi river and we all use the Chene. Always hold and none of us have ever lost one that I can remember over the last 7 years or so. If you go to the search routine at the top of the page and enter Chene and click on 'post' you will find some information by members that use this anchor.

19. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'll have to try that I have problems with my 40lber all the time, even when I am using a 30 in the back. Wind and a good current tend to make me leave a spot alot because I can't hook up.

20. bigcats 24/7

bigcats 24/7 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I have a mushroom anchor on my river boat... seems to work fine