WHICH ABU REEL

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slimdaddy, Jan 25, 2009.

1. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    im thinking about getting some new reels but debating on which to get 6500C3-6500 big game or the green cat or the new catfish pro rocket or the 7000 help me make up my mind im going to mount them on american primer pro nite sticks 7 1/2 ft rods give me some suggestions thanks

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I just bought a 6500C and it is smooth as silk. Haven't fished with it YET, but i'll have some more just like it.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Man, ANY of the c3 series are super smooth. That said, the 'Green Cat' is going to be my next pair. I have standard c3s, 6500TCs, 'Blue Cats', and 6000s, and they are ALL great! IF you have the funds, that 6500 'Pro Rocket' would be HARD to beat! ABU GARCIA RULES!! :wink: I repped you for your great choice in reels!!

Bill in SC

4. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have some older abu s got a 5000D-5000c-2 5500c3 -6000 all great reels

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have a pair of the older 5500 series reels too. They are great reels, and I have reeled in many fine cats with them, but just not enough line capacity for the rigors of steady catfishin'. The only reason I would buy a 7000 would be if I needed the extra line capacity. Your situation would determine that. Whatever you decide, get the Swedish models rather than Chinese. I just don't like the C word! :wink::smile2::wink:

Bill in SC

6. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    do you think these other reels is so much better than the standard 6500c3 to justify the higher cost

7. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I got all the reels you spoke of. for the big rivers 7000s,all the rest 6500s,i like the big game or the new rocket,hope this helps:wink:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Certainly the Pro Rocket would be more bang for the buck, but the 'Green Cat' is just a standard c3, anodized green with the catfish symbol engraved on it + the addition of the power handle. That said, my pair of 'Blue Cats' sure SEEM smoother than the standard c3. Could be my imagination though. The best "deal" I have found lately is the 6500TC from Catfish Connection for just over $70, on special, but limited in supply. The difference in the TC is an additional stainless bearing, and a 6.3:1 line retrieve as opposed to the 5.3:1 on the standard c3s. Some say the lower gear ration diminishes cranking power, but I let my rods do most of the work so that is no issue with them for me. I like my pair of 6500s just fine. Keep us posted on your final choice! They (6500 series) are ALL good!!

Bill in SC

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    6600 ext or a 7000 would be my pick. usuall the 6000 are good up to a 5oz sinker and slower current. more than that and they cant keep up.

10. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I like the 6601. Lefty 6600. I don't go for the tc or big cat. Just names given to ordinary reels.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have fished withabu's since 1973,Started out with a red 5000. I now have it 2-5000c a 6500c3 and a 7000 Pro Rocket.They are all good reels. The type of fishing you are going to be doing kind of dictates the need. If you are fishing small to med. sized rivers and lakes I think a 6500 would fill your needs. If you figure on fishing the Ohio or the lower stretches of some of the larger rivers in Ohio you might want to go with the 7000 size reel because of the larger line capacity. Hope this helps.

12. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i fish small and med size river with a trip to the ohio river once in a while

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If I was buying reels to fish most small to medium rivers with an occasional trip to the Ohio I would spend my $$$ on the 6500 whether it be the Pro Rocket,Green Cat or the c3 would depend on the $$$$ I had to spend. I love the 6500c3 I have for an all around reel it is hard to beat. But as has been said I would stick with the Sweden made reels which ever Model I decided on.
    The only advantage the 7000 has in my way of thinking is line capacity. I do not think is needed for small or medium size rivers which you are going to be fishing most. Hope This Helps.

14. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Personally I feel the best all round reel that flips the bill for any type of fishing is the 7000 C3. Smooth reel with 3 ball bearings and larger spool for more line capacity when you need it.

15. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    No matter which abu you pick. You will pick a winner. I myself prefer the 6500 C3 or TC. They just feel a little smoother. But the 6000 is a sweet reel to. A little cheaper to. But the american primer pro nite sticks are SWEET. I bought 2 last year and love them both. Will be getting 2 more when I order the Green Cat and Catfish Rocket.

16. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would highly recommend the 6500 pro rocket. I have the 6500 and 7000 pro rockets on 12' rods and they are nice casters. Good luck.

17. TxImpalaClone

TxImpalaClone New Member

State:
    Texas
    Is there a major difference in the 7000c3 and the 7000i? I found a 7000c3 for a great price but I wish it were a lefty so I maye get the 70001 left hand.

18. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've got a LOT of Abu's 6500-7000, but, have never bought a New one,,,:wink:

19. RiverBuggy4x4

RiverBuggy4x4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Abu Garcia is the only way to go in my eyes... I personally have a an ambassaduer 6500c4 and 7000 on quantum big cat rods

20. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have a 6500 blue cat a 6500tc and 2 6500c3s and in my opinion i really like the blue cat and the tc. Real smooth, long casting and great drags. I tried out a 7000 big game reel the other day and im thinking about getting one. Them 6500s are great but it just feels better holding the 7000 for confidence reasons it just feels stronger !