Whew, back from the lease....

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Catter, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Man, what a time the last 9 days have been.

11-10-06....I left for the lease on the 9th in order to do some bow hunting the day before gun season opened. We got there around 1am so I spent some time getting ready for morning and a short nap. I waited till just daylight to start out because I was'nt sure exactly where i wanted to hang my stand (I ran across this logging road while I was lost the last time I was here). Anyway I walk down the old road about 200 yards and setup my stand. From here I am looking at the hardwood bottoms about 75 yards away running left to right and there's a powerline cut thru about 100 yards behind me. I get situated and sit there awhile then I hear something behind me. I ease my head around and there's a doe about 15 steps from the base of my tree. I grab my bow from the hook, stand up and trun around. Just about this time she steps behind a tree so I draw back and hold, waiting for here to come from behind the tree. She does'nt. lol She starts scratching at her nose with here hind leg and sneezing, i aint never seen anything like it. She stayed behind that tree for probly 3 minutes before she hears me then jumps about 5 feet and runs back just past that same tree and stops. I let the arrow fly and it's almost a perfect shot, just 2 inches back from where I wanted to hit. She ran about 120 yard before giving up. This was my first deer with a bow. It was also the longest I had ever held a bow on full draw in a stand. My shoulder is still sore today.

11-11-06.....Took my .270 out today to the same stand I used for bow hunting, almost 40ft up overlooking some very thick brush just outside the hardwood bottoms. Climb up into the stand, load the gun, untie the rope and start screwing in my hook to hank the pack on. 30 yards out I see a sapling move a bit then this buck walks out, I put the scope on his horns then move the crosshairs to a high center shoulder shot. Perfect hit that got the right shoulder, front of both lungs and exited the lower left.

pic is here... 11-11-06_0956.jpg 11-11-06_1057.jpg

11-12-06.....Went out again and watched a total of six this morning from that same stand. Very nice morning for sure. Back out that evening and too a very cool 6 point that would have been a nice 8 if not for having all his tines broke off, he even had a few holes poked in his rear from the fighting. lol

All in all it was a great week. We had 7 adults and 2 boys in camp. The lease is 147 acres with a creek bottom running from top to bottom. Total of 13 deer in 9 days. Plenty of meat in the freezer so next year i will be able to be a bit more picky.

Another buck a friend got that week.... 11-13-06_0845.jpg

Have a good one and be safe,

Joe

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Looks like a great time/good job. Thanks for sharing.

3. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    congrats on a good trip

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good job looks like youall had a great time and good luck thanks for sharing

5. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Way to go.those are some nice bucks.thx for posting,sounds like a great week hunting.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Congrats on the nice bucks, sure does look like a succesful hunting trip:smile2:

7. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Thanks for looking guys, it really was a great trip.

Joe

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Joe, Congratulations! It sounds as if ya'll had a lot of fun. Ain't it nice when a plan comes together like it should. Thanks for the details and pictures I enjoyed it.

st

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    There ain't nothing like a good tagging and bagging.:cool2:

10. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Sounds like ya'll had a great time.