Where's the shad?

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Redman 54, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Redman 54

Redman 54 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Just recently I am having a heck of a time in catching shad in the throw net. Locating plenty of shad balls over the channel but cant seem to get them corraled under the net. Do any of you old? pros have any suggestions? They seem to have abandoned all of of my bridge pilings and I have been forced to look in open water. Any help would be appreciated. Signed DISGUSTED

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I went out after all the rain friday morning thinking i could net some shad. I went to my go to spot where there is a sewer pipe going under the 44 bridge. I can usually get atleast a dozen or two there, and friday morning there was a strong current pulling through the tunnel. All i could catch was some bream and a 3# bass, i threw them all back and decided to try down at the sinclair spillway. I threw down there for about half an hour with no avail. There was a guy fishing down there who said they usually catch shad all winter long below the dam , but this winter has been different? I was gonna fish up at dyar pasture where a feeder creek dumps into the river just below a downed tree that would have been right in the heavy current. I hope this spring the river comes out of its banks , I think that spot will produce a few fish.

3. Redman 54

Redman 54 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Aaron didnt know about the pipe under 44 bridge Which side is it on. Usually catch mine at the RR tressel pilings above I-20 if in a boat but these shad have all pulled into the channel in deeper water. Not something Im used to. you do know about the pipe under Swords road about halfway between Swords and Hwy 278. Real good place later in the spring say April but it gets used heavily. Stand on the pipe on the lake side and throw right in front of the pipe

4. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    the pipe under the 44 bridge is just south of mcdonalds and the pyramid. Driving south it's actually on the second bridge towards the end...it's heavily used too........I park right on 44 and there is even a carpet going from the guardrail to the pipe......i catch them on both sides of the hwy. Thanks for the heads up on the swords pipe, I didn't know about that. Is it closer to 278? I think i may know where you're talking about.......where the cove comes in , and there is water on both sides of the road?

5. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    i suppose i need to start scouting out any pipe that goes under a road for bait catching opportunities. I checked on the lake map for the indian mounds you're telling me about. It looks like on the map the channel runs along the bank just south of the mounds....is this what you were reffering to on your earlier post? Have you ever had luck anchoring just above the railroad truss? I know there is a lot of current there, rip rap all along the bank, and the two river channels come together all at that spot.

6. Redman 54

Redman 54 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You got the place about the pipe on Swords Rd Its where the cove comes in and water on both sides of the road It is actually a little closer to 278 probably. The lake side is the best I have caught only a few on the other side . This place is OK until the hybrids and cats start coming up the river Everyone who fishes the river gets shad at 278 bridge tough because of the riprap its a graveyard for cast nets, Greenbriar Creek bridge throwing from the bridge itself in the channel, Dyars Pasture but when the fish come boat traffic loading and unloading really disturbs the shad, or the pipe on Swords road. This is the best because you can catch shad here long before they get into the river in numbers. The hole I was talking about is actually above the Indian mound 1/4 to 1/2 mile on the east side. I ll look at my map and see if I can pinpoint it a little better for you. The east bank below the Indian mound should be a perfect place Ive only fished it a couple of times back during the spring of 07 I probably didnt give it my best effort those two times. Back 20 years ago when we were crappie fishing the timber just to the north you couldnt catch crappie because of all the 1-5 pound catfish in those trees. I fish the RR tressel a lot in a lot of different places including the juncture of the two rivers I catch some really good fish there. Last spring on one day I had a 37#,a 26#, a 21# and four more between 3and 8 all blues and one flat that weighed 14#. Right beneath the RR tressel their is a twisted mass of steel and concrete I guess where they buit it and just dumped the scrap into the lake. I lost two anchors in this crap there on the same day. Ballgame over as far as anchoring had to start drifting. There is a lot of neat structure all around the RR within a 1/4 mi in all directions. Really anything you could possibly want to fish at any time of year. Its all there. Ill check out the 44 bridge pipe Thanks

7. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    i've never thought about throwing my net off the 278 bridge..that's a great idea! lol.....I usually bye the $20 ones from wal-mart two at a time anyways. I've thought about throwing off the sugar creek bridge this spring around 3 or 4 in the morning so i don't get caught. I actually just lost one the other day throwing around a bridge down by sinclair. I fished near the RR truss one time before off a boat. I knew it had to be a good spot. I'm gonna walk down the tracks here soon and see if it can be fished from the bank, I know all that riprap is gonna make it difficult to set my rod holders and all. I appreciate all your info....I moved down here just over a year ago , and you're literally the first person I have met that fishes this lake for trophy catfish.I appreciate all the info you've shared so far, and I hope we can hook up and fish some this year.

8. Redman 54

Redman 54 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    On the 278 bridge Ive never heard of anyone throiwing off the new or old part of the bridge I guess it could be done but if you are coming down Swords road just before you get to 278 like 50 feet you will see a little turn off or parking area I guess thats what it is intended to be. Pull in there and there is a trail that takes you down to the riprap. Last time I throwed there when I pulled the net up I had about a thousand little 3 or 4 inch catfish in the net. What a mess It took an hour to get them all out of the net. Be glad to hook up sometime and fish together I always thought the riprap at the RR would be great fishing catalpa worms on a cork rig. From my days when I fished Oconee for bass about 15 years worth seemed like 24/7 I noticed that during the May fly hatch the riprap on RR and I20 would be covered with channel cats. From all those years of bass fishin I know Oconee and Sinclair like the back of my hand. and a lot about structure in several other lakes around here. I guess I got burned out on bass fishin in in 94 sold my Ranger and bought a river boat I did not set foot on a lake from then to the spring of 07 I fished the Oconee river for crappie hybrid and catfish from 94 to 07. I know a lot about these two lakes and river I just have to apply this knowledge to catfishin and its a little or alot different. I learn something new every time i go out. but I have always been a catman at heart since the days when I grew up on the Flint River catching flats.

9. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    It sounds like you know the lake very well. Do you fish the oconee river down south? I've drove down south and scouted the river a couple of times, I have a pretty good bank spot down near the town of oconee...it's about an hour south of milledgeville. I love river fishing too, as i think flatheads fair better in a river. Have you ever had any luck anywhere below the I-20 bridge? From the little I've heard all the trophy cat action is above I-20 where the resovoir is more river like. Despite this I bet drifting cut shad in the lower end during the cold period would produce some decent blue cats. Have you ever used those lil channel cats for bait? I know some may find it unethical....but I like to have a nice variety in the bait bucket.......from bream, crappie, to bass, bullheads, small channels, shad for cutbait since it's hard for me to keep them alive in the warmer months. I have a pond i can go to thats full of bullheads......they're on the larger side (12-16 inches) but I like to throw one of them out every now and then. I would like to find a pond with some smaller bullheads....but i figure thats what the small channel cats are good for.....i don't think a feeding flathead is too picky when it comes to wether it's a bullhead or channel cat. I feel confident going into this spring fishing oconee. Last year the lake was totally new to me, I caught a few decent fish through the summer, and i had a really good october/ november. i was just talking to one of my "bass" buddies at work......he said he would go catfishing w/ me this spring in his bass boat. I hope i can put him onto just one 20 pounder.....then maybe he will be trading in his ranger too, lol.....I know thats all it took for me was one big flathead. I was never a serious fisherman , just a chicken liver and nightcrawler casual fishing kinda guy. Then one summer about 4 years ago my buddy worked at an outdoor shop got me a quantem big cat w/ an abu 6500 at cost. I continued to use livers and nightcrawlers for a lil while...lol......took about a month until i could even throw the damn baitcaster....then after reading a lil bit and talking to the baithsops I bought some goldfish and headed to a sandbar i knew of....this was back on the Muskingum river in Ohio.....that night I caught a 40# flathead and I've had the fever ever since.......

10. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Aaron, We still on for the spring? Any dates yet. I'll be on the family vacation to the beach from may 15th to the 19th. Got an idea on how to move the vehicals with minimal gas. Put the car on a trailer pull it with the truck. Drop the stuff off at the launch location drive to the take out leave the truck and trailer then drive back to the launch.

11. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    I figure around april will be a good time to hit the pre spawn......it depends on if we have a early spring i guess. I'm still up for it......and I look forward to it. We can talk later about what we need to bring and how exactly it's gonna work. I need to pull out my ga gazeteer so i can locate a ramp site. I really wanna be on the lower oconee and take out somewhere on the northern section of the altamaha. I was gonna call ya the other day when i was driving to gwinnett but i didnt have my phone on me. talk to ya soon....massey