Wheres the shad?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by fishingbuddy4, Sep 18, 2007.

1. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Well i have almost 5 lbs of shad vacumed sealed in the freezer,but would like to have some fresh bait.Where have you guys that have been out this week been finding them on the missouri?

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Most of what I have found has been in the creeks. However, sometimes you can get inside a trail dyke in the calm water and find them. I like the ones with the shallower water best. And if there is a sand bar in there it seems to help. hope this helps out.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    They were schooled up pretty thick in the mouth of Crooked River Saturday. No big ones, but tons of 2 -3 inchers.

4. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    i have been catching most of mine in the mouth of th creeks and on the flats most of them are 2-3 but i have caught some 5-6 inch ones

5. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    this time of year i find the bigger shad along sanbars with current

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    "and I throw my big a$$ 40ft net at them. Easy as Pie, baby!"

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I think somebody is confusing a cast net with a trawl. LOL

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Kutter..if you have to use your boat to pull you net in when you catch all the shad Darryl does isn't that trawling?

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey Dave I was quoting (or mimicking) Slider. LOL:smile2:

He's the one with the big A$$ net and able to throw it. I have only heard the legend, didn't see it first-hand.

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    You should have seen it. He had that whole thing threw up on his shoulder, and just launched it out there. Heck he probably could net a whole 20ft. boat with that thing!:eek:oooh: Cuz say them big nets are pretty common down in Florida for saltwater fishing. I know one thing.. I ain't gonna even try to throw one that big. I'll probably end up in the water with the net!!:embarassed::roll_eyes:

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    It was a sight to behold indeed. Mr Slider can come along in the Cuz craft ANYDAY. Well, as long as he has his net anyway. :wink: One of these days he's gonna dork up and throw that thing on a school of BigHeads, and he's gonna have 3 thousand pounds of fish to do something with. :smile2::smile2: He is the BAITMASTER to say the least. WOW.

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

There you go again Cuz! And to think we have a dyslexic pilot.:eek:oooh:

It's Master Baiter, NOT Bait Master!

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    He didnt do any 'baiting' though. Perhaps he is the MasterBaiterCatcher of all the land? If he ever starts 'baiting' my hooks, I'll certainly allow this special talent in slider to wear the "master" title on my rig. :smile2::smile2::smile2:

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Well, I didn't see Slider throw his special house sized cast net, so I can't say anything on him.
    However, I must admit I was humbled that same day, upstream. I have thrown a cast net for years, taught quite a few folks on the BOC how I do it, also. I have gotten to where I can throw my 12 ft diameter well enough, if it doesn't wear me out too soon. However, I had a rider in my boat for Cuzfest that put me to shame. Ol Catfish_Willie simply amazed me! He not only threw that smaller net of his perfectly every time, he way able to do the same for mine. I have never seen a net open the way he was able to make it do. Just before it hit the water, it acted like it was opening so far it was stretching the cords! Perfect circle, perfect distance, perfect art form & all this every time he threw it! I will no longer give instructions on how to throw a net, From now on, I'll just send em your way, Willie.

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Me thinks we should keep this Slider and One Catfish Willie around for awhile. :smile2:

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I need ONE(orboth) of those guys to show me the trick.

I throw a 12 foot diameter net but I don't throw it well.

I catch bait and all but it sure isn't pretty too often.

It needs a little repair though, maybe thats it.:roll_eyes:

Even on a good throw it sure as heck doesn't STRETCH while trying to open all the way. LOL:sad2::eek:oooh:

17. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Darryl, it's time to move up to a real cast net. You need something around 7 to 9 ft RADIUS, 1/2" mesh and 3/4 to 1 lb of lead per foot of radius. I'm particularly fond of the Lee Fisher "Bait Buster" net I recently bought online - it's a high-dollar net, but it's already proven itself strong and reliable in several situations that would have shredded the cheap nets I previously used.

They say the best way to learn to throw it properly is to have someone show you. I never got that lucky and was able to pick up some techniques online that I can use effectively now. Unfortunately, it's the "hold part of the lead line in your mouth" technique and a lot of folks here think it's gross. Doesn't bother me in the least; shad slime is tasty, as is river mud, fecal matter in stagnant creeks and carp blood.

The nice thing about throwing a big net is that even a bad throw will open up more than a good throw on your tiny net, and when it opens all the way, it's a sight to behold, especially when you hit the mother lode of shad...

18. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I use the "MOUTH" method also it doesn't bother me a bit. Heck my wife even still kisses me once in a while. Now thats whats GROSS (for her, not me).

And mister smartypants, a 12 ft net isn't small so quit making fun of my little net ok?

19. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    An 8 ft radius net covers a 77% larger area than a 6 ft radius net. A 9 ft radius net cover 125% more area than a 6 ft radius net. That's all I'm sayin... :wink:

20. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    ive used the mouth method and thats a good method when you want to get the net way out there but the method i use seems to work real well to. as far as net sizes i just got a new 11ftr with 1.9lbs of led per ft catch them fast little buggers the 10ftr i throw has 1.5lbs per ft . the nets are not cheap they can range from 150.00 dollars to 250.00 dollars things to consider when you purchace is mesh size lead per ft of radius and panel construction the better nets are made with 6 panel construction and those are the ones i prefer as they open way better and they dont cone up around the horn