Wheres the shad on IL?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by viperdragon6662003, Aug 4, 2009.

1. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    Hey i was wondering if anyone has had any luck with finding any shad on the IL river and if so how deeps the water and what kinda area they found them i live around the lasalle peru area if u have a good spot around there please let me know. I threw the cast net for about 45 min one day to go fishing for about an hour thats how many i caught.

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i havent been up that way in a long time, but i would say anywhere near a dam or back in some coves near a boat ramp or dock would probably be a good choice. i recall a nice cove near chillicothe from a few years back that was productive

3. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i fish the ill. river, i haven,t been able too get any shad form pekin too henry. just flyin carp. I think the carp took the shad over. iv,e been catchin cats on the carp, so at least they are good for somthing.

4. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    there is none I looked all year also. Last year you could catch 50 at a time now it's none. I did catch a couple skipjack herring though. I switched baits to using the asian carp chunks and they work better than shad. Or any kind of carp cut up is a very good bait...Sounds stupid but they are plentiful and the bait is almost impossible to get off the hook for you and the FISH! Give it a shot. Good luck...:wink:

5. Human Resources 31

Human Resources 31 New Member

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    One baitstore in Ottawa told me its against the law for him to sell shad or herring now? I wonder why?

:angry:

6. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I put my boat in at the ramp in Spring Bay and just throw in the marina. Sunday I was able to catch enough in a few throws to fish for a few hours, but the fishing was slow, they weren't taking them at all. Only fish we caught was a 2.75 pounder on G&S and a 1 pounder on worms. All of our shad were 2-3 inches long. The shad seem to be a little behind the normal schedule this year around us.

7. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    iv,e been goin to clinton lake. my dad was out there mon. got 500. 5-6in. a few went 1lb. at hot water discharge.

8. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I am from around st louis and I fish the mo and miss rivers. There are a few shad to be had but not many. It seems to be the asian carp have took over their habitat and the shads are doomed. The good news is the cats are now biting on the asians it seems they have adapted, it was either that are they would starve to death. Anyway I am in a catfish club called "Gateway Cats and almost all of us use the asians, some with great sucess, especially with the heads.

9. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    thanks for all the answers next time i go out ill have to catch me some of those asian carp and give it a try thanks for all the info guys

10. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    I fish mostly from the Lagrange dam to just below Florence. Hardly any shad. When you do get them they aren't taking them anyhow. Waste of time right now to chase bait. We have been tearin' em up on Wicked Sticky on a piece of sponge on a 5/0 circle. Have been catching alot of nice fish 4-10 lb. range on the stinky stuff. All of the fish that I have cleaned have had almost nothin' in there stomachs. I guess the stink bait must taste pretty good when there are no shad to eat. Have to try the Asian Carp too. Have tried them some in the past with no luck.