Where's the Flathead Catfish..

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by awmurray2, Aug 21, 2008.

1. awmurray2

awmurray2 New Member

State:
    Oxford, North Carolina
    Where did the flatheads at Dan River go ? Was just up there at Milton this past Saturday and only got one decent bite. Have they left or are they leaving for the season ? Just really got into fishing for them about a month ago and have been "hooked" ever since. Any idea if moon phases affect how they feed ? So many questions and so little space... Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

2. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    I have been wondering the same thing myself. I've been skunked pretty much all year on the Dan and have yet to find a decent fish. I have heard several people that have caught many in the 30-40# range. i have fish from in the Danville city limits on out to Milton and haven't been able to locate many fish at all. If I find out anything I'll be glad to let ya know.

3. awmurray2

awmurray2 New Member

State:
    Oxford, North Carolina
    Yup, went back last night and got skunked by my buddy... He caught a blue and a channel both probably about 3 lbs each and a flathead about 15 lbs but I honestly think they're gone for the season , flatheads that is. I won't be going back until next April. It takes me about an hour to get there and after two weekends coming home empty-handed, its just not worth the trip if you know what I mean.

4. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    Not much water in the river for the big boys, they are being caught just out of the rivers near Buffalo and Bluestone. The water has got really low hear, so most of the fish are being caught in the flats out in the lake at night.

5. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    last time I caught a flattie, it was pitch dark...new moon.