wheres the fish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by catfishangler, Aug 14, 2008.

1. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    well me and my father inlaw decided to go fishing last night and see what was biting.I went to my normal spot and threw the net about 20 times and got about 9 shad.That told me i should just stay home.well we got on the river and it was a full moon and looked like it might be a good night. We started heading down to the hole we fish and the motor started to die.Found out what was wrong fixed it and got the the hole, We both thew a line in and waited. 45 min went by pulled the lines in and cought a blue crab. that about called it a night. packed up and went home.I have been four times since last tues and cought nothing where are the fish am i fishing the wrong place or what?

2. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sir, thats why they call it fishing and not catching:smile2:
    Seriously, who knows whats going on in the head of a fish sometimes you can go out and pull one right after the other in and other times you would think that they are just sitting there looking at your bait and laughing at you.
    Hang in there Im sure you will kill em next time out.

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    last time i was out used chicken liver , nothing at all for 2 hours then i thought to try night crawlers, got hits about every 15-20 minutes so like ken says who knows keep trying your nail them soon i'm sure

4. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    well i hope i have been catfishing for about 16 years and i have never hade a year this bad.

5. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just think its the heat the fish are there. The term I think is thermocline, there are pockets of cooler water at different depths. When its hot the fish are in those. Where they are you can't tell. Its best to try different depths till you find them. Now this to me is only theory, I don't have a boat. It makes sense to me because the James right now is as warm as bath water.
    good luck