Wheres the fish?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Marshall, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Hey guys. I was just wonderin am I the only person having trouble catching fish? I have fished 8 days out of the last 15-16 days and have had little to no success. Biggest cat about 6lb channel, and there far an few between. Ive been fishing Herrington lake. I started in the shallows and now have worked my way into deeper water. Went out last night and fished from 8 till 4 this morning. My buddy caught 3 fish before it got dark(6lb perch, 3lb perch, 3.5 lb flatty). I finished the night catching only one fish, a flatty about 12 to 15 inches. We fished with live bluegill, cut bluegill, nightcrawlers, crawfish (which we have caught all our fish on the last 3 weeks). We have also been using shad but got to late of a start last night to net any. Is there any other bait out there I dont know about? lol Theres channels, flatheads and even a few blues (my brother caught a 22 pound blue 2 years back) in Herrington. They have got me confused. Anyone have any tips? Should I use a diffrent rig? All help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Marshall

2. Kmann

Kmann New Member

State:
    Crestwood, Kent
    I went this morning at 7am to a couple of lakes that are stocked 2 times a year by the state and after the front came through last night and didn't even get a bluegill nibble. Just mercilessly drown some worms.Liver and dip bait didn't work either.:angry:

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    THe fish are still probably spawning, I am getting to close to heading out again. It has been slow around here for about a month.

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Where are you fishing @ herrington . Have you tried the southern end of the lake where the dix river Enters the lake ?Maybe try Cedar Creek @ Stanford .

5. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Yes, I have been fishing herrington. fished that end of the lake all year except Friday night I fished mid-lake around the prison. Caught my first Flatheads of the year then also. I caught 10-15 eater size channels close to where the dix feeds in. But that was at least a month ago and the last 5 trips turned out nothing. Planning on hittin up Cedar Creek Lake very soon. I heard someone caught an 18lb channel out of there last week. Dont know for sure though. Numerous pics of channels around the 10lb range on there website(http://cedarcreeklakeoutfitters.com/). Are you close to this area or fish it any? Thanks for the reply.
    Marshall

6. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Most of the fish are on the nest in my area of the state.:eek:oooh:

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont get to fish too often stay @ home dad with 7,6,4,year old my wife is a controller for a company and works alot so fishing opps are limited . Have a friend who lives in Stanford who fishes the lake some . And another buddy who fishes Herrington and Elmer Davis and does well with panfish and smaller cats @ E.D.He caught an 8lb. channel at Herrington earleir this year . I used to fish alot more before kids .Willgreen lake and Boonsboro are normally where I fish with the time I have . Cats very well might be spawning . An 18lber @ Cedar ? It is a fertile lake but I dont know if they are that big there just yet but I guess it is possible .Bass over 20 in. have been showing up last couple of years and I beleive they have a slower growth rate so it may be possible . I think willgreens record is 18 lbs.

8. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Yea Lance the fish at Cedar Creek do have a fertile lake. Im like you about the 18lb channel, but I guess it is possible. Did you check out the pics on their site though? Im not sure about a channels growth rate but there are numerous pics on there form last year showing channels in the 10lb range. I think the biggest didnt like much being 12lbs. Im gonna go over sometime this week and Ill ask around about the 18lber. Thanks for the reply.
    Marshall

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    CatFishing will be slow for the next couple of weeks and then it will pick up. Don't give up its just that time of year

10. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Give Up? Never. I know their there. I am not gonna give up. I'll get on some good oones sooner or later(I Hope). lol. Thanks for the tip! Good Luck and Good Fishin'!

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Never give up is right. Last year from april to august I had the worst year of my life. Sep thru feb changed that to the best year of my life, for fishing that is. It all comes around to us who stick it out.