Where's the channels?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by BigKatzRIP, Jul 8, 2007.

1. BigKatzRIP

BigKatzRIP New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish a good stretch of river that in the past has produced some really nice channel cats. However, lately the water level has been really low and these spots aren't producing. I've been moving cut baits around in deep and shallow water. There's a lot less current and it seems that the channels have moved out. Anybody have any suggestions on where all the channel cats went? And I'm not talking squealers...I'm talking 5 pounders plus.

2. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    In defiance county like 5 miles out of defiance there are some nice channels there at Independence State Dam.I caught a nice 4 pounder on worms lol.But yea i have never tried cut bait but alot of people catch 30 + Flatheads and i think 5+ channels so yea i would give that a try.I bet u would catch one.Go at dusk or dawn.And the park opens at 6:00 am to 11:00 pm,GOOD LUCK:big_smile:

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    We are having similar issues here in Coshocton. Try faster water. The head of the hole right after the riffle holds the most oxygen after the riffle itself. You can find them in 2 feet of water. I was wading the Muskingum Wednesday with my daughter and I scared one between me and the shore and I was less than knee deep. If you are in current look for boulders, snags, eddys, etc... look for the disturbance on the surface. Something is causing it to flow other than naturally and behind that something you can bet there is a fish.

Good Luck,
    Shawn(Coshocton)

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    word has it on here that are only biting on dary-mart hotdogs? they must be taking the high road..:0a18: