wheres the channel cats?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by bass&cats, Jun 13, 2008.

1. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have been fishing for channel catfish a lot this year and have only caught one 12"! I am going out saturday after noon twords dark after the storm. I think they would be starting to spawn now. I dont know weather to go to a lake or fish the river entering raystown. The river might be a little colder than lakes. Im thinking of fishing north end wilmore were it is shallow. Any suggestions? Im dieing to land a half decent size channel!

2. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm struggling to find some on the NW part of the state....

however, the spawn is on and I think that even minor success only assures us, that our day will come. If you do catch a big one, feel free to enter it in the Channel cats champion thread... there's not much action in that thread on the moment....

Lots of flathead hunters on this board; and many of them not as interested in the relatively small channel cat.

Jason

3. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have actualy just started getting in to them now. I have been catching some nice 24 inchers useing plastic worms fishing from the boat casting into there nests neer cliffs rocky structures and dams. caught a nice 26 inch channel today.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have asked that question for years.

Here in the Schuykill River, the only place to consistently get channel cats is the tidal section. Channel cats are not numerous in the non-tidal section.

Rarely will you catch a small dink channel under 2 pounds in the nopn-tidal.

I think the flatheads ate them all!

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    On the Monongahela River flatheads are the dominant species followed by channel cats that are harder to catch and the bullheads have disappeared altogether. It`s been a long time since I`ve heard of anyone catching any bullheads on the Mon.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like you are finally getting the cats. Congrats. I have never used rubber worms for them before.

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA

good job; generally where have you been fishing? anyplace local?....

feel free to indulge into the BOC joy of gloating over your catch and showing off some photos. I know I really appreciate seeing them...
    also If I could get a plug in for a rather inactive thread. There's the

'channel catfish bragging rights competition'

It's current competition between the east and west sides of the state as too which has been catching more trophy channels. 7# is the minimum; by my figuring most 27"+ fish pass the mark. I'm keeping track of the score and would be happy to see you on the board.

clearly, spawning is passing and even I am catching cats:tounge_out:

also curious, do you apply some kind of scent of bait to the rubber worm? I would think that would help...but, I shouldn't really proffer advice to someone catching channel catfish of this size... you've obviously doing it right:worship:
    Jason

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

YEP! Didn't you know that the channel cat is the red headed step child of cat fishin. LOL! Its all I chase in the delaware and they are kind to me.:cool2:

9. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I was catching them at willmore dam neer portage. I didnt add any scent to the worms either I just fished worms with wieghted heads slowly down the bank on my boat. If a channel sees anything neer its nest posing a threat it will strike.

10. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Josh, I've only ever fished the two ends of wilmore dam, don't have a boat small enough for an electric. Pontoon would look sort of out of place at wilmore :smile2:

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Josh the channel cat bite has really turned on about two weeks ago. I have caught a few decent ones in the past week. They seem to start biting really well around eight....

12. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    The channels are definately picking up the past week or so. It seems that they are doing pretty well weight wise for the length too. 2 or 3 weeks ago they were all skinny and didnt seem to be very spunky due to the spawn but all the ones I caught last week had nice pot bellies. It did seem kinda strange though that they were all in deeper water, even at 2 or 3 in the morning.

13. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have been catching them lately too. At willmore I caught a skinny channnel 24" 4pounds. But at raystown I was catching better fed catfish. No big ones yet there but I think I had a striper on. Might have been a catfish.

14. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    in my stretch of the schuylkill I caught 5 channels this morning on chicken livers all were 24" or better between 6 am and 7:30 am great morning for me excepy the 20 dollar failed gas cap for inspection but still smilin after those cats:smile2:

15. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Sounds like a great morning Jim....Actually....Sounds like an excellent morning!! Dont' think I'd be worrying about that 20 bucks either

16. bass&cats

bass&cats New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Ya congradulations. Ive never had a day like that but I only lake fish.