Wheres the catfish in Texas?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by willm, Feb 19, 2006.

1. willm

willm New Member

State:
    Texas
    I live near Amarillo, everyone says catfishing is great all year round but I cant seem to get anything to bite. The water temp is still in the low 40's, I dont know what else to try. Any ideas?

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Wil, are you fishin' lakes or rivers ? What kind of bait are ya using ? What depth are ya fishin' ? Are ya tryin' for Channels or Blues or Flats ?

I'm fishin' lakes anywhere from 2' to 12' deep. Mostly around tree stumps or Water Turkey Roost, when in the jon boat. We use Danny King Punch Bait the most. Shad when we can find them. We are catchin' Channels and a few Blues. Bank fishin' has picked up lately. We got 11 Channels last weekend. Fishing through the nite in the same depth as above, only it's an open area near a deep channel.

3. willm

willm New Member

State:
    Texas
    I mostly fish Lake Greenbelt near Clarendon. Its getting fairly low, fishing in about 5-10 foot deep, I tried using prepared baits with no luck. I do best with chicken liver soaked with garlic salt. I got some of Danny King punch bait at the outdoor show in Amarillo last month and took it to Lake Fryer near Perryton with no luck. I seem to have a lot of trouble finding where the fish are. I try the points, creek entrances, brush piles, up wind, down wind. I can't seem to figure this out. But I'm not about to give up, Its still a bunch of fun, especially when I can get my kids to come with me. We always have a big time together, just wish it could get the fish involved too.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Sounds like ya are hittin' the spots they should be in:confused: .....
    What size trebble hook ya using with the DK ? If ya are tryin' a #4 go bigger...... Seems the Channels and Blues around here like a big o mouth full of DK. Also try puttin' on a 3" slip cork (bobber for y'all nothern boys), about 6" or 8" up from the hook and 10" or 15" below the sinker. I use about a 24" leader most of the time. I fish one pole with a slip cork and one without. Sometimes I only get bit with the slip cork, sometimes it's both......

5. willm

willm New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks for the info, I'll try them next time I get to go.

6. Catfish_addiction

Catfish_addiction New Member

State:
    Texas
    I do one with and one without a cork also. Try using several differant baits on a trip, see if they want something your not offering....

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    hey willm! ever tried millers creek reservoir? Its bout 10 miles east of munday.
    been years since i was there, but great catfishin and crappie lake.

8. oldman

oldman New Member

Choke Canyon Right Now Is At Its Finest. From Now Till The Middle Of May.. Jugs,trot Lines Or Rods It Doesnt Make Any Diffference. Lots Of Channels And Blues Few Nice Flatheads.

9. mrwhiskers76049

mrwhiskers76049 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We are fishing Lake Richland Chambers right now and are cleaning somewhere around 50 per day. Using Cheese punch Bait, Chumin with sour wheat. 4/8/2006

10. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jae,

I fly my plane over RC frequently and wish I could just land on the water and throw out a line.

Cleaning 50 fish a day? That's incredible. Are you bank fishing or using a boat? A couple of weeks ago, I raced a bass boat out on the lake with my plane. I know it wasn't a fair race, but it was enjoyable, none the less. It wasn't you, was it? :)

I'm in Mansfield, and trying to get back into the swing of fishing for catfish. Looking to go out to Joe Pool or Lake Arlington as they're the closest lakes to me. I wouldn't be opposed to driving down to RC to do a bit of fishing. If I had a fraction of the luck you've been having, it'd be worth the drive.

Later,

Gary

11. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    The Mrs. and I went to CC yesterday. We got into some good fishing, we kept 19 eaters. They all where 13 - 16 inches. Around noon they where hit so fast that we both dropped down to one rod each. We threw back probably 20 -30 fish that didn't hit our 13" mark. They where hitting cured livers about 3' deep. Some fish had roe sacks!

12. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    try lavon. it is real low but we caught a lot of catfish last sunday and went back monday and got a load of crappie.

13. OpsMan

OpsMan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have been fihing Squaw Creek lately. It is closed off to the public but if you know someone who works there you can get in. I have been catching channels left and right. However none to big i think the largest was 28" channel. No blues, or yellows. Also fishing Lake Granbury with no luck, but I believe I am just not fishing the right spots. Good luck you all.

14. hobocatfisher

hobocatfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    I live in Central texas and the bite is on. 130 pounds of cats from Colorado River last Saturday nite. I was out yesterday on a local waterway and the cats are in pre spawn mode and hungry. I caught some hefty fish in 32 feet of water on live bait. I also caught a 27 inch Ba$$ using live bait and donated this fish to a widow who was tickled pink to have some fresh fish. I personally don't eat Ba$$, I just don't like the taste, but give me some catfish and I'm ready to put the feed bag on.

15. hobocatfisher

hobocatfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    With all the rain we have been having in Central Texas the water is about to normal pool and the fishing has really turned on. I love the rain.....

16. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm going to be fishing this weekend up on Lake Buchanan. Rented a cabin and gonna try for some cats and crappie. I was glad we got so much rain recently.

I'm going to be on the northwest side of the lake, south of Tow. Anything I should know about the area? Never been before.

17. frosty_whiskers

frosty_whiskers New Member

State:
    Texas
    The area south of Tow is good for Blues, as well as Yellow's. My best advise is to fish with sunfish under the 3 in length. I had a friend who fished out of Tow for many years, he used primarily sunfish, and was always very successful. I'm sure that you will do well regardless of the type of bait you use, simply because persistance pays off in the end!

18. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the tips!

19. RRaider

RRaider Guest

willm you still around? We are in Amarillo as well.

20. oldman

oldman New Member

Got Out Of The Hospital 5 Weeks Ago After Heart Surgery. Gonna Spend 5-6 Days At Choke Canyon. Leaving Tomorrow Am. Have Yellow Fin Tuna ,200 Perch, 400 Crawdads. Will Catch Some Shad When Iwe Get There. Have Any Of You Texas Folks Been To Cabelas South Of Austin At Buda. Thats A Fishermans Paradise. Got Any Thing You Can Think Of. Prices Are Higher"n A Cats Back. They Have A Flat Head That Weighs Over 80 Lbs In Their Aquarium. No Really Big Blues. I Have Moved To Kyle Texas Since The Heart Attack And Live With My Daughter And Her Husband. Better Git, Later Oldman.