wheres the blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by rodney07, Jan 17, 2009.

1. rodney07

rodney07 New Member

State:
    Richland Ga.
    Where is the best place to find some blues in this cold weather? Most people tell me deep water.Is that deep water off of a ledge or the middle of a channel or both? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. thanks Rodney

2. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It just depends. We've found our fish anywhere from 25 to 45 feet of water in the middle of the channel, in deep holes near bluffs, just kind of depends. The best advice I can offer is to look. You may have to travel 2 miles or 15 miles. Use your fishfinder and find the bait fish and the blues won't be too far away. Hope that helps.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Last year I would have been able to answer that question for you, this year I have no idea myself...:smile2::wink:

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I can say that the majority of our blues this year have came in 50 to 60ft of water, But I have seen them caught in 12ft also...:eek:oooh:....Thats just this winter so who knows.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    If it has been cold for quite few days in a row I would probably fish deeper. I would look there first anyways.
    If there has been a warm front, even if only a day or two, I wouldnt hesitate to fish shallower.
    Keep and eye on the sonar for sharp dropoffs and baitfish. Find the bait and you will usually find the blues.
    Dont be afraid to try something different.

6. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Some days they are around the channels and some days in the flats. If you find some on your sonar that are in 25 feet of water near a depth change contour like a ledge or drop off chances are most of the fish will be in about the same depth and contour area all over the lake.

7. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Use your sonar and look around the creek bend's next to flat's.:wink:

8. bigzurn08

bigzurn08 New Member

State:
    Texas
    But depends what time of day and water temps

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Rodney,

The blues are going to be in the deeper holes where food is available. They are not going to travel far to eat.

However.....................

Since water temps down there are still close to 50 degrees. The blues are going to be moving about and actively feeding. So you will still be able to target them close to shallow flats where the shad are soaking up the sun. Just look for the shad and you should find some blues. Can't find the shad?? Look for the birds. Also feeder creeks are where the skips are going to be hanging out (or the dam of course). So that is a good place to catch some blues as well.

Good luck brother. I will need you to teach me the river in a few weeks. :wink:

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    All the diehard Blue chasers in this area pretty much hang it up for the winter. The ones who keep fishing (like me for instance) seem to come up empty handed. a buddy of mine fished all day the other day at various spots with 6 rods out baited with skipjack and did'nt get a nibble anywhere, knowing him I'm sure he covered some miles of river too. I fished last Thursday in water that ranged from 30 to 90ft deep and the only thing I caught was a cold. :eek:oooh:

This is from my personal experience but there sure is allot more positive outlooks out there but not in my area.

If there is anyone who is doing good on the Mississippi right now I'd love to hear a success story.

11. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Its true that the colder it gets the more they go to deeper water looking for more stable water conditions.Working the channel can pay off well. also working flats that have deep creek channels or holes running through it can hold biting cats with bait. Use the sonar to find'em. Where you find lots of bait you'll find cats near by.:wink:

12. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Here you go Patrick,
    Went on a meat hunting trip yesterday caught 16 fish, kept 14 for the fryer "freezer was empty" largest in the pics is 18, let two fish live to catch them another day both in the 22lb area..all blues,, all of these in about 3 hrs then went looking for other fish..

Caught them at the Nuke plant on the TN River above Chatt, they where in 50 ft of water on the bottom center of the channel , caught them all on chicken breast, water temp was 42 above the discharge and 46 below, lots of shad dieing, gulls where everywhere, and the water is a little warmer there, which attracts the bait and everything else follows.. no " BIG " fish but lots of them...:wink:
    This is kind of a uneke area so I'm not sure if it helps of not but but its what works for me...
    Puddle

Attached Files:

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I hear ya John,,Way to go on the cats bro,,You sure know how to make a guy feel :sad2:..LOL...cannot get out around here and do anything like that ..But I haven't got a boat yet!!

Nice Fish..

14. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Man,
    You are always welcome in my boat if you whant to take a road trip...:wink:
    Puddle

15. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Way to go on a real nice mess of cats! The same buddy that I mentioned who got skunked this week on the Ms managed to tear em up on the TN river last week.

I've heard tht on the Ms they are like searching for gold. When you find them you find em but they are real hard to find. I wonder if they might be out in the Main channel? Nobody fishes there cause all the barge traffic makes it too dangerous.

16. TrophyHunt

TrophyHunt New Member

State:
    Georgia
    When I fished in the Tenesse river in the winter I found them in the same places as summer.