Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Wheres the best places to catch crawdads?

30K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  whisker maniac 
#1 ·
I know its early but i was just wondering i've never done it before and i was wondering where u catch them at. How big is the creeks u catch them out of? Can u catch them in ponds without fish in them? Thanks

#4 ·
You can catch them in almost any creek that has continuous water flow. As well as ponds lakes etc. The best place to find them are where the gound has alot of rocks and debris. You can catch them several ways. The easiest is to get a crawdad trap and put some meat such as bacon or chicken and leave it out as long as you want. When I was little I would look under rocks and place a net behind them and scare them with my hand and they would dart backwards into the net. Another way to do it is to throw out some kinda meat on a line and when you pull it in, do it very slowly most crawdads will hold onto the bait until you try to pull it outta the water so try to have something to net them with once you pull them to the top.
I hope this helps

#5 ·
Hey if I was you I would put you some bread in a minnow trap the creek water dont have to be that deep and catch you some minnows and usually there is always some craw dads inside the minnow trap with the minnows and when you use them the best way I have used them is to cut off its pinches and hook it through its head.

#8 ·
Make your self a crawfish rake. take some 1/4 " metal stock and build your self a frame that looks like the bucket of a front end loader. Then cover it with 1/4" hardware cloth and mount a long pole to it. Take it to where the are small shallow creeks or ditches that hold water most or all the time. Rake across the creek from the otherside back to yourself and pick out the crawfish.
With this method I catch alot more crawfish in alot less time than with any crawfish traps or nets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.