Wheres the best place to find civil war relics.

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by 10IbsBass, Apr 4, 2008.

1. 10IbsBass

10IbsBass New Member

State:
    AL
    that is easy and LEGAL :smile2: to go to.

2. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Any where that the war was at that you can Legally hunt. A lot of places are on privte land and if you can get permission to hunt there you have it made. If you go to some of the Metel Detecting sites there is a lot of Help just like here . There are a lot of people that hunt Civli War stuff, Tell how they do it and what the things are worth as far as money wise. That is what I want to do some day.
    Hope this Helps

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You can probably find some things out here on the net in google search engine

4. 10IbsBass

10IbsBass New Member

State:
    AL
    I have a place to hunt the only thing is its on the side of the mountain, and I like going with my dad and since his heart attack its hard for him to walk up and down the side of the mountain. So I was just wondering if any one new some places to hunt.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would guess private land would be the key. Most of the fighting was done in the central south so I would go north some.

6. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    treasurenet.com go there those guys are all over that sort of stuff and its a huge site FULL of goodies

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Hey Vini! How's the gold prospecting coming along?

8. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try to hook up with someone from mid Tennessee. they did alot of fightin in these parts. several large battles fought between Nashville and Pulaski.
    smokey

9. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    You might try to google search for places. or just ask property owners. good luck

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Eroded river banks and rocky gravel bottoms at very low water at old battle and camp sites.Down stream of old Fords are great places during these low water times.Folks often lost wagons to saddle bags and personal items when attempting to ford the branches,creeks,streams and rivers at high water times.Many often drowned during high water in places that were normally small and shallow during the times of hastily and reckless periods.Advancing,retreating,charging,chasing and just running for your life left little thought for safety.Fords were a favorite place of ambush once folk were in the water.These places are often good back to 1500 and 1600 relics in the southeast.The Spanish were from coast to mountains in Alabama as were all after them.They had to ford water!

People have always lost things at boat landings and rapids also.

I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    pea ridge battle feild in pea ridge arkansas. this is not an original thought. some guy in springdale arkansas thought of it first. they caught him on the battle feild with a metal detector in the middle of the night. searched his home . they then prosecuted him ,gave him 7 years in jail and fined him 270,000.00 dollars . the chare was something like disrupting a national monument.

12. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Sorry for the late reply Bob. Whelp weighed all my gold for the year yes a whole year and came up with right at 1/4 ounce.

Now thats a lot of trips dredge and a few metal detecting and it doesn't sound like much most of it is flake and flour gold a few pickers and 2 nuggets best one weighing in at 1.5 grams or 1 penny weight the other is 1/4 gram .

This summer I am hoping to do better and trying some different spots I just acquired a 4 inch dredge thats going to change things drastically , I have been using my 3 inch and it just doesn't move much material plus I had a lot of break downs this year, the dredge is worn out , frames cracking motor problems, etc etc.

All in all this has been the best year I have ever had, getting out and enjoying the Sierras. We just lost 3 young men right up by where I dredge at they got themselves into an old mine and were running a motor to pump water out and were taken by carbon Monoxide all 3 dead 20 feet in the mine very sad situation 2 were brothers nd there cousin was the third.

http://www.fresnobee.com/263/v-printerfriendly/story/609339.html

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I read about those fellas on another forum. Yes, it was sad that they made such a fatal mistake.

As for your prospecting ventures, you should be proud of your self.

Let me know when you've got enough to sell off, if you need money to invest back into your prospecting.

Google up Bearfoot gold. It's a newer place around here, that I'll be going to, as soon as I get some time off. Real nice folks run the place. A friend was metal detecting there and found some gold in quartz near the old mine shaft, and he's dredged up near an ounce in a few weekends. He uses a 4" Keene.

He let me use his dredge last year, in the Uwharrie river. Only got a little over a gram that day, but it hooked me good.

I'll be hitting the local beaches this weekend, looking for some tourist gold.