Wheres all the striper (rockfish guys)

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by jerseycat9, Aug 3, 2006.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Just wondering were all the striper gurus are? Id like to get a good thread started on this topic so feel free to post away

2. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    i go out for striper this year i got a 38 inch 32 pound striper

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    thats bigger than my biggest this year: a measly 27lbs

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I love Stripers, but do Freshwater Striper Fishing mostly. So far my biggest Freshwater Striper was a 27lber, but the ones I catch are in a river and run up there from the ocean in the Spring.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I like to stripper fish also the only S fishing I do is salt water Ihave a son that lives in Va Beach I go with him in Nov out on the Bay I don`t know why but i never fresh water i would think you could catch them the same way:smile2:

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have fished for stripers since I was a kid. Every spring the Maurice gets a real good run of them. I remember a day when every cast yeilded a striper on 6 " silver and black Rebel surface plugs, we caught fish till we were exhausted! Went back two days later and not a striper to be found, but thats the way it goes with coastal stripers.

7. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    i go out in the ocean in jan and troll with big mojos and sometimes in nov we go into the bay and get small one 18-28 inches on pearl zoom superflukes then when we go into the ocean i get from 35-40 inches my biggest was a 38 inch and my neighbor got a 44 incher

8. ko1featherweigh

ko1featherweigh New Member

State:
    newark,cal
    some days when im fishing ouy in the delta for cats with anchovie all i get is small stripers never was able to get any thing big but i would like to try

9. southpaw

southpaw New Member

State:
    alabama
    i usually striper fish but i havent this year.i guess what changed mr was when i caught my first giant blue.in fact i was striper fishing when i caught him.since then i have focused on giant cats

10. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I Striper fish on Lake Cumberland once in a while. I've caught some aroudn 15 pounds but nothing huge. I need to stop making trips to Erie to walleye fish and head down there and striper fish. But I love dem 'eyes!

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Gonna be heading out thursday night on a boat in the raritan bay for stripers using big bunker spoons Ill report back friday

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I usually target stripers in late spring/early summer off the Cape May sod banks. In the fall, Longport Bridge. Summer is no good.

13. carolinarebel78

carolinarebel78 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    striper fishing is good around new bern nc

14. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Repost for thursday is it was SLOW we got one keeper striper And switched over to blues and had a blast but we ran out of bunker And I yes I forgot my lure and plug box at home so half of the blues we caught turned into cut strips for more bluefish LOL

15. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    lol yea theres the cheapest bait you can get right there, better then losing your $5 lure to the blues. i also get out in the raritan bay in the spring and fall for stripers. this spring i got out twice and slayed them both days, my largest was a 39 inch fish. the first trip was in may, we had 15 stripers to 36 inchs and countless blues that went 5-10#. the other trip was in june alittle slower but we nailed so nice fish. we had about 10 stripers that day with my 39 inch being the biggest but also lost two other fish that a novice angler had on, both fish ran twice as much line out as my 39 inch fish then poped the hook. we also had countless blues but much smaller in the 3-6# range.

last year was the by far the best, we went out on may 15th and caught 40 stripers with 6 being between 24-28 inchs 28 fish between the 28-32 inchs (all had to be released) and 6 fish above the 32 inch mark which was great because we had 6 guys on board and the regulations was 1 fish between 24-28 inchs and on above 32 inchs. we also had over a 100 blues that day so that was the most memoriably day ive ever had out on the the raritan