Whered they go!?!?!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TX Fisherman, Nov 24, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    shallower in the cold weather? or deeper? do the cats tend to be found in deeper holes during the winter? or more in the shallows?

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It's an interesting question. I know that last year when we were on the river fishing for blues we would catch them at almost all depths. There was one spot where my buddy caught two fish in less than four feet of water and I had my rods set in over 35ft and hooked a nice fish as well. I did notice that almost all of our sizable fish came from deep water with a LOT of current. I'd tend to fish deeper if I were you. I'd imagine that that's where the larger fish in your body of water will be. I may be wrong but that's what little experience I have with fishing non-power plant waters leads me to believe.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    get into 20'+ of water. They are there more consistantly right now. I am finding alot of mine in 30-40'
    It seems that deeper than 45' is dead. All the channels we have caught were in less than 15' but they were just eaters. The 30lber and the 24lber the week before were in 35'.
    I think they just set into the winter pattern with this last cold front but the water temp is still 61-63 degs in the lakes in central texas. A good friend of mine has been KILLING on a sand bar when the sun comes out. He caught and released over 40 blues on Wednesday in 3hrs of bright sunshine and then only had a couple bites after that. That is only in 5' of water.
    My biggest find on our lakes is a bottom change in 30-40ft of water. Humps, stumps, or rocks has been working really well. We have been looking for this kind of stuff on the electronics and marking and drifting when we find it.
    Good luck to ya, if you find out something different than what i am saying let me know so that i can try it in my area.

4. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas

what bait? and like lake or river??

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Kevin, I'm sure my river is loads different then the water you fish, but here is what I have found. When the water temps start dropping here on the Ohio and get into the upper 60s, the catfish seem to run the shallows more. look for them along the banks, humps and areas where the sun is warming the water more during the day. Basically the fish are following the shad to warmer areas. Then as the temps get down in the fiftiees, the fish start to do deeper. The flatheads will move to really deep water like the channel and the blues will move deeper as well. Same scenario, the baitfish are going deeper and starting to suspend. Then as the water temps drop into the 40s you can start to expect the blues to be in the channel or the eddy holes, where the deepest water is found. As the water enters the 30s the only place I can have really good luck is in the eddy holes, it seems the blue cats will winter in these spots. Also the shad kill will happen at these water temps and the dead shad will drift into the eddies, look for feeding cats at the edge of the eddy holes right on the current break. Vern

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    that is in the lakes, i am using cut buffalo and shad. Buffalo is doing better