Where would you start?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by BIG GEORGE, Feb 14, 2009.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Got me a 14 foot 40 year old fiberglass boat. Havein a small problem of takein on water. Manufactured by Winner. I have taken marine epoxy and hit a few spots that looked like the contributer to the problem. At the back of the boat at the bottom near the drain hole there looks like what I would call a seam that runs the entire width of the boat. I slathered that up with the epoxy and made it what I thought was tighter than a frogs arse. Still takes on water. Now not alot mind ya but enough that the bilge has to run about every three hours or so for about 15 seconds. I've changed my plug to a brand spankin new one and it is always secured tite when put in. The boat has a keel shield so its not from abusein that end. LOL! In fact I take better care of that boat than I do myself. LOL! OOPS! I refuse to wash it. Sorry DH! LOL! Any thoughts other than a new boat. LOL! I was gonna get a new one this january. Just one problem. The wifes van went belly up so we had to get a vehicle instead.

2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    George, you'll probably thing I crazy for suggesting this, But ran into a similiar problem on my Fiberglass back in the mid 90's. I ended up putting about 5 ot 6" of water in the boat while it was sitting in the driveway and crawled underneath to see where the leaks were. I then marked the areas with a magic marker then drained the water and left it dry out. then fixed the areas I marked. That did the trick, no more leaks after that.

just a suggestion.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hell,I know ya are crazy. No doubt about that. LOL! I did thatlast year with no results that I could see. Its gotta be a small leak. Like I said. I don't have to run the bilge that much but its enough to keep my you know what puckerin. LOL! I'm gonna do that trick again when it gets a bit warmer out. THANX!

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just paint the entire inside of the boat with some of that "As Seen On TV" Leak Ender 2000! :roll_eyes: That ought to do it. :smile2:
    Sorry BG, could'nt resist.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can have hull cracks that only leak with pressure against the outside of the hull. It's a one way leak. Not uncommon in fiberglass.

Other then that I would be looking at all the thru hull fittings for cracks.
    If they are nylon I would replace them anyway even if you keep them nylon.
    They dont last forever because of the heat and cool cycling and UV.

40 year old glass? How is the transom? You may be getting some flex cracking.
    Glass will fatique just like steel will.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Been waitin for you to show up. LOL! Thanx a ton Mark. Guess age has caught up to her. Gotta squeeze one more year outa her. Thanx again for the heads up. Maybe I'll just coat the entire outside of the boat with marine epoxy. LOL!

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I just bought a new to me boat and the guy I bought it from told me that it to would take on a little water after a whole days fishing. He said that it is the drain hose to the livewell. It has little drip, all because it is original from the time it was first purchased. So it could be just about any little thing. Hope you find it soon cause warm weather is just around the corner.

Chris

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well BG, I don't think it's the boat. Wear a depends next time out and I'll bet your problem will be over. You see when a man gets a little age on him sometimes you don't even know it's leaking out. It's not always yellow either. Heres a hint, your wet trouser leg is NOT from sea spray! lol :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I can stick you one in the oven on warm.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    George, you may be leaking from the outboard mounting as well.
    Probally a good place to start. Those lower bolts are going to be submerged.