Where would you fish??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KansasKatter, Jun 6, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    OK here is the scenerio.....you have a lake, smaller type lake. This lake has two very distinct "zones" in it. The one zone is nothing but mud flats, the whole side of the lake is flat, and very muddy. You can wade out 100 yards, and the water never gets more than belly deep. There is not much structure on this side of the lake, but there are a couple of nice coves with some channels in them that are about 12 feet deep, as well as a couple of old road beds.

On the other side there is much more structure, including the bank which is mostly rock. It gets very deep very fast, and the main channel runs along this side of the lake. There are several coves with a lot of old timber in them.

Which side would you fish on? Most people fish on the flat side, but some have had success on the deep side with the channel as well. Man, I hate making decisions!
    :crazy::crazy:

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I'd do the cover by day & the flats by night.

3. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Sounds like a good plan to me

4. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Also remember, Jeff that once it gets really hot there will be less oxygen in smaller pools of water and the Cats may run a little deeper, just a thought.

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would definately fish the channel/cove side. i never have done any good at all near mud, except for catching turtles:roll_eyes:. fish the cove at night and/or using a float fish about 5-8ft deep along those rocky drop offs.

6. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    sounds like the lake i live on The n side is mostly flats and s is old cannel deeper water alot of the cats are caught on the flats at night plus there are a couple of creeks coming in on the west in there has been some flat heads got where they come in the lake is known more for walleye and crappie so not that many fish for cats the people that do catch some good ones

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't fish lakes, but everything I hear about the catches of flatheads at Santee Cooper (close to home) says that even in lakes they are still basically river fish and orient to the river channels and the creek channels.

So, I guess I'd fish the side with the river channel, concentating on good structure near or in that channle. Just remember, you don't need all that much depth. During warm weather, I am coming to believe that anything much beyond about 15 feet is a waste for flatheads (I'm sure there are exceptions).

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Fish the channel, everything I have read to this point says channel. Don't overlook boat docks as cover. If you find the channel running along the bank and happen to have a long line of docks...... All flatheads are looking for is relief from the sun. Put a bait or 2 up on the bank and a couple in the channel and a token one on the flat. Now lake fishing is way more diffulcult than river fishing. I know a couple guys that catch big flats in lakes and they average 10 to 25 trips between big fish, or any fish for that matter. So just because you don't catch anything on a trip or two doesn't make it a bad spot. You may have to put in a whole summer or spring.

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i would try both sides a couple of diffrent times a piece. its up to you. but there is one thing i am adamant about. i would most definatley fish in the water. not much good trying to catch them from the couch.

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    If there was no wind, I would focus on the deep channels and structure. If the wind is blowing in the direction toward the shallow mud flat side, thats where you will mostly find smaller baitfish, then I would fish where the baitfish was.

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i have a very simular lake close to me its about 240 acres i caught flatheads at night on the deeper side around 20ft deep the other side like u said shallow . when i set up it was a perfect spot 2 fallen tress went into the water about 50 yards apart i would cast as close to them as possible from each side of the boat i would run the boat nose first on the bank inbetween the 2 trees. then casted a 2 more poles out the back of the boat. did very well. i caught a few on the shallow side using ballons as bobbers with live perch. but caught better fish on the other side so you will just have to spend some time and see.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    when i lake fish, i look at how the creek channel runs through the lake. structure is always good to fish around, being most lakes lack structure. However, these big flatheads seem to use the creek channel to travel throughout the lake. the mud side you are talking about will have fish that move from the creek channel onto the shallower flats after dark to feed esp. if there is an abundant supply of baitfish.. feeding and moving back to the channel. on the deeper side with the rock, and wood structure that would be a nice side to fish. i mainly fish all slipfloats when i lake fish. i try to fish points and places where the creek channels may swing in towards the bank , then sharply move back away from it towards the main lake. i place my baits around these areas placing my baits just off of the creek channel and around some of the structure areas. these have seemed to be more productive spots....goodluck...rollo

13. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Well I have no lake here. I can tell you that the bluegill here in the river where there are rock lined banks with current are hanging in the rocks. I fish a sacrifice system from the bank and toss it into the current and let it float up against the rocks.I've had pretty good success like this. I can suggest this, go at night and put a flashlight in those rocks. If you see baitfish in them you can be sure the flathead will be cruising those rocks looking for them. I don't have any mudflat areas but unless you think baitfish are hiding there in that water during your fishing time then I would say it's probably not going to be to productive.