Where to Trout Fish

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by Drawout, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Ive never been trout fishing and would like to try it in southeast Oklahoma, Where can i go and how should i approach fishing for them ?

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Sorry i spelled trout wrong lol. :embarassed: :embarassed: :big_smile:

3. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I have no idea about fishin for trout in Oklahoma, but i fished for trout for around 10 years in the western US.
    Trout fishin is not too complicated. Usually they are caught in small streams or rivers. A simple method is to put a worm on a small hook with a small splitshot and let the worm bounce along the bottom. If your fishin for them in a lake...same kind of thing, except put a small marshmellow or inject the worm with some air to make it float a bit off the bottom of the lake.

Trout can be caught using powerbait of many different colors.

my favorite method was to use spinnerbaits or small spoon type lures. A white rooster tail, or a small Mepps spinner will produce fish.

My 'go to' trout lure was ALWAYS a silver and blue kastmaster in a 1/32 or 1/16 ounce size...cast it out...let it sink a while (depth of body of water comes into play) and reel it back in sloooowww...just fast enough to make it wobble in the water.

There are the dedicated fly fishing peeps...i have never fly fished...so can't give ya any thoughts there...DOH.

good luck in your trout pursuits!!

cyas
    robert

4. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you live in southeast OK then you not too far from Lake Taneycomo in Branson, Mo. or the White River it has some of the best trout fishing in the country. AS far as methods, Robert pretty much summed it up.

Good Luck.

5. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    No i live in paris tx but ive heard about good trout fishing in oklahoma.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I trout fish below Tenkiller dam quite a bit here in eastern Oklahoma. They stock there often and are stocking the bigger fish now. It's not uncommon to come home with at least one or two in the two pound range.

I'm really fond of the 1/8oz. kastmaster spoon, either chrome, or chrome/blue. They seem also to like the "Super Duper" really well too, but have caught the bigger ones on the kastmaster and rooster tail( 1/16 to 1/8). It seems that color is really dependant on what they're in the mood for that day, so I've got a variety of colors for each kind of lure.

I also use power bait sometimes or corn. Some people use worms also. You can go the day they stock and catch the heck out of them after they settle down about a half hour after they stock, or go the morning after and find large rocks out in the river were they will be hiding behind on the calm side. Ultra light tackle with 4 to 6lb test line works great.

Oklahoma department of wildlife has a website that gives all the regulations and even has a stocking schedule. They've also just aquired about 320 acres of land downstream from Tenkiller dam for public access they are working on. I usually fish close to the power house of the dam, but there are several access points. I've now got a set of waders, so my access is gonna be alot better on crowded days.

Good luck, and holler at me if you wanna give this area a try, I might be able to go with you.

Vince

7. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Johnny,

I think the closest trout fishery to you is the Lower Mountain Fork River. A good portion of that is in Beaver's Bend park. It is a year-round trout fishery. The stream is clear and cold. Look for waterfalls or shoals. For a guy starting out it is hard to beat the simplicity of fishing with power bait, either the paste or the eggs. If you like lures the rooster tails work pretty good, too. Don't tell anybody, but one of the lures that I use a lot is a Little Cleo spoon. The lighter the better. It wobbles like nothing else. My favorite color is silver but I usually carry about four different colors with me. Light line is very important as those trout get wary pretty quick. My son just kills them on a Rebel crawdad. It is very small, only about 1 1/2 inch. It is amazing all the fish he catches on that. And we have proven several times that the 1 1/2 inch crawdad catches two or three times as many fish as the 2 inch.

If you don't mind a little longer drive, the Blue River is stocked with trout this time of year. It is north of Tishomingo and is a beautiful river. There are plenty of places to wade, especially the northern end of the river. And there are lots of waterfalls, too. Plus, you stand a decent chance of catching a smallmouth when you fish lures.

Our favorite place to trout fish is in Missouri near Cassville. It is a state park, Roaring River. They stock trout every day and you can fish there year round. It is a beautiful place that leaves absolutely no doubt about it's creator. The entire river is fed by a spring that "roars" out of a cave wall. They have a hatchery there, too. Camping is permitted there and there are several affordable places to stay nearby, too.

You should be able to google info on all of these places too.

Good luck and give a report back. :smile2:

8. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN

9. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Roaring River is a special place for a lot of folks. You can google it to see more pics. The fishing there doesn't appeal much to the purist but for those of us who just enjoy catching it is great. I'll be back there this fall, if not sooner:big_smile: