Where To Start?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Spider, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Ok, spent last summer fishing Blue Marsh after many years away from there. I've pretty much always just gone someplace, casted in, and sat on my butt waiting to see if I caught anything. I've had some luck but never anything really speak of. If I caught a nice fish it was pure luck and not from knowing what I was doing.
    Since Blue Marsh is pretty much a dished out hole, how would you determine where to start looking for cats? I have a topo map of the lake (old but better than nothing). Spots that years ago were the original creek channels appear to have pretty much filled in and didn't show on my sonar. I've never been a science fisherman but I was getting tired of not catching anything last year. Assuming my sonar was correct It showed a lot of suspended fish along the way but nothing in the way of action. I could use some pointers on what to look for as locations to try. I am restricted to the No Wake Area because my boat is too small to even consider the unlimited area.
    It would be nice to at least come how with having caught some fish this year other than what could be better considered as bait.

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    a friend of mine mentioned the Spring creek arm but I don't know how reliable the info is,I gave up on Blue Marsh a few times,lol I keep going back to the Schuylkill I always caught more fish people seem to fish out Blue Marsh every bank spot I went to I found scales laying around from people catching and cooking the fish right on the banks:confused2:

3. finster31

finster31 New Member

State:
    Mohnton Pa
    you can get an updated map of the lake from the berks bassmasters. mike moore is the contact person.the map has all the locations of where they have put in fish cribs, downed trees, rock piles, channel of the lake, ect. the bottom of that lake dosen't have much of any kind of structure. i would say just fish the points and drop off's. when hunting for the big ones use live bait. the bigger the better.

4. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Thanks, I'll look into the map.
    I noticed that there is very little in bottom structure when I was there last summer. I fished it years ago when the lake was young and at that time the original creek channels and such were still evident and made for a few good spots. There was one where I fished pretty much in the middle of the channel and caught bass and walleye in the middle of the day. That channel is non existant now. I was amazed at how much everything changed over the years.
    I want to try Kercher Creek in Hamburg (only about two miles for me). The last year or two it was grown in real bad with those long stakly weed things and that made shore fishing next to impoosible. I talked with a couple guys loading up boats last year and they said it wasn't much better on the deep side of the dam either. There are some big fish in there for a small dam. A guy at work got a cat around 36" about two summer's ago.
    Last summer, once I had a boat, the water was almost too low to even launch it. You would have had to literally back in and go off the end of the ramp and have half the truck in the water. Hope this year that the weeds and water levels are better suited to fishing. Our PAFC doesn't seem to care about the conditions but still puts fish in. Go figure.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    kercher creek isn't bad in the spring while the weeds are down, mid of summer its just one big salad, i don't like how they redid the boat ramp with those big rocks on either side of the ramp, not easy to beach the boat when your fishin alone. and as far as blue marsh if you have a fish finder i'd target deeper holes with some live bait around drop offs and ledges if ya put the boat in at the now wake zone and head toward the main lake there are a few spots like that, up toward old church rd. has some deeper water also

6. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I never caught anything at Kaercher creek to weedy there from there its only a hop skip and jump to Kernsville dam you'd be better off there my opinion of course

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    That's where I would put in my time. Flatheads will use that as both cover and as a highway to their feding grounds.

8. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I used to do real good just down from the Church Road bridge. It's where the original road was. You can see where the road entered the lake but where is on the east side is no longer visible. I used to fish where the original road crossed over the creek. I tried this past summer to find this but it appears the structure is no longer present. I get some depth change but no drop offs like used to be there. It's a shame because I caught real nice fish there, even in the middle of a summer afternoon and never saw another boat anchored there fishing. It just looked like you were fishing pretty much the middle of the lake channel. Everything has changed so much I now have to start all over and locate some productive fun spots. The bad part is that I'll be pretty much limited to weekends and Blue Marsh sucks on weekends. Last summer was good and bad, I messed up my back (at home) and had over two months off work. The pain and lack of $$ was bad, the time to just relax and shore or boat fish was great. Weekdays and hardly anyone there!

9. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Spider right back Old church rd keep going past Lake rd the 2nd left you can make called School Lane drive back till you see the yellow gate then walk straight back until you can't anymore try livers and shrimp or bait of your choice even a sunfish I caught my PB channel there 30" 15pounds I don't know how to get there by boat sorry lots of kayakers launch back there besides catching lots of channels there a lot of hybrid stripers came from there as well kind of a long walk but always paid off for me:wink: good luck

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i know what your sayin about weekends up there, the only time i go on the weekend is at nite, even back in the no wake zones on the weekends is a mad house, during the week atleast the main lake is fishable, not too many jet skis or tubes, i never really targeted cats in the marsh, i mostly went for bass and any thing that would hit a big lure, did the tuesday nite bass tourneys a couple times but that got lame, i'll spend more time in the marsh once the spring bite slows down on the river

11. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Thanks. I went to mapquest and brought up an aerial photo of Bernville and then zoomed/panned and found the area you speak of. From the Bernville area ramp I'd have to go down to the start of the unlimited area and take the left no wake leg and follow it almost the end of the lake. I was back in there years ago but not quite that far. That is probably at least 45 minutes at no wake speed (for me anyway). Maybe I'll check it out.
    Maybe all this cold will kill of some of the Kercher Creek growth and the fishing will be what it was anbout two years ago when you could actually fish there.
    Thanks again,
    Larry

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    kercher creek isn't bad in the spring, after that it's a big salad:eek:oooh:, even in front of the boat ramp gets choked up with weeds, your right a few years ago ya could actually fish around the shoreline, i used to think landingville was bad with weeds but come summer time kercher creek is the worst:sad2:

13. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I remember when I was a kid fishing at Kaercher creek with pieces of hot dogs from the cook out we were having there and it was choked with weeds back then catchin sunnies between the weeds:smile2: man those were the days

14. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Sorry, but I had a laugh at your post. Now i know I'm getting old. I remember taking our normal shortcut to middle/high school, which was right where the beast is now, while they were building the dam. :confused2: :eek:oooh: