Where to start looking for those honey holes on a lake?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by geihsler, Jul 8, 2006.

1. geihsler

geihsler New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I'm new to boc and love all the info here. Tring to take my catfishing to a more consistant level, I'm need to know where to look for those honey holes in lakes. The internet sites is great for finding spots on a river, but not bank fishing at a local lake. Where to look, and what to look for?
    Thanks for the help

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    First off, welcome to the BOC and hope you enjoy your time here.

I think for the answers to your questions you will have to give more information on location of where you are at in Nebraska and what body of water you want to fish if you know.

Next you should post under one of the headings in the Nebraska state forums so that you will target people in your area.

Hope this helps

3. geihsler

geihsler New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Larry I don't need to maps to the holes. I would like the base ideas how to spot a likely place. Finding the secret spot is half the fun right? :big_smile:

4. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Look for a spot with heavy cover/vegetation. Also, if there's a current, look for a spot where moving water meets still water. Cats always hang out there.

5. only1dman67

only1dman67 New Member

State:
    ohio
    first welcome and I aree this a wonderful site full of info and you can make alot of friends as well hope to hear from you soon.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Welcome to the board. I would recommend posting under your respective state forum for specific locations. I look for places such as: above and below dams, wherever a creek enters the lake, warm water discharges if available, and the old river channel.

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would reccomend finding the schools of shad and there should be channels feeding on them. If not in a boat, choose a bank where the wind is blowing in your face. The wind pushes the plankton against the banks and the shad feed on the plankton. Good luck

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Craig, I don't know how big a lake you're speaking of, or whether you are using a boat or bank fishing. Take a good look at the lake (a satellite view can be helpful) and look for things such a feeder creeks, points that run out into the lake are good, also any visible sign of underwater structure, such as limbs, etc. If there is weed growth along the shore, this indicates shallows, which can be very productive at night, but probably not so much during the day. A simple carolina style rig, or a float rig will probably work just fine. Also talk with someone who fishes there and get there input (with a grain of salt, of coursr).
    Good luck!

9. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC. In my experiance, it's hard to pinpoint honeyholes. One day you might catch several, go to it the next day, and catch nothing.

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Craig, I'm a fellow bank fisherman myself. What has worked for me is looking for points/sand bars that jut out into the lake and have deep water on its sides. Fish the shallower water on the points/sand bars at night and the ledges and deep holes on the side of these points during the day. Also look at the bank, if there is a steep hill leading down to the lake with a lot of brush on it, your in a good spot, that means that the water right next to the bank will most likely drop off into a good hole and probably have good amounts of cover ie. stumps, logs, brush piles, rocks, and so on. Good luck and hope I helped.

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well first i would find deep structure or water color changes that might represent depth change...

12. geihsler

geihsler New Member

State:
    nebraska
    thanks guys,
    If you look, there isn't much for fishermen outside the missouri river. Thanks for the tips, I'll put them to use with a picure soon of a monster cat. With the bait, and a place to look has got to pay off, right?

13. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I certainly agree with that. Best cats I ever caught were where the river entered the lake. And, at the spot where I fished there was also a large creek feeding into the lake, at about 90 degrees to where the river fed in. So, I would set up on the point that ran toward the convergence of the river and creek and would drop my baits near the edge of the drop to the channels of both the creek and river. It was great fishing.

14. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Craig,

You have received some good, solid tips in this thread. So, I am not going to try and add to them. Follow the tips and you will find that "honey hole" on your lake.

I am going to have to do the same (follow the tips) for my lake. Since, I (finally) once again have a boat and can explore a bit. And, start catching cats like I used to, over 20 years ago.

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    ^^^ Great tip!!!!

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    The way I find them is scout the lake out, drive around for a while. Find a few guys that are catching fish, and plop your butt down right in between them and chunk it about a foot from their bait.

Always manage to find a good hole this way! :lol:

17. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I saw you Sunday at Reelfoot Lake!

18. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Go and check around with some of the local bait shops and such... see where people are catching them... Now go check them out... cruise around (making sure your not disturbing other fisherman in the area) and see why those spots seem to produce fish... (whether it be a certain depth drop off, a river, a certain way the creek/Channel bends) and then cruise around or look at a map to find other spots similar to that... esp if they are far away from the ramp (people are less likely to go out of their way to get to them... although it could be conversly true too where they don't want to go 100 feet from the ramp, they want to go to the other end of the lake)... See what you can find... I like fishing close to the ramp because everyone seems to want to go to those spots farthest away instead of the ones just out from where bank anglers can cast near launch

19. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't be afraid to fish shallow, especially early and late in the day. The lake we fish has a max depth of about 14 feet, and we catch most of our cats within a few feet of shore around daybreak and the couple hours after. Any kind of brush, rocks or even boat docks will hold them. Other day my partner cast under a willow hanging over the water and a 7 lber nailed his liver as soon as it hit the water. We fish out of a boat, and have a regular "route" we follow. If they ain't shallow, we check out some deeper brush piles, but usually they are in tight to the shore.